Harder to return to Windows instead of keeping Linux

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
knuckles

Harder to return to Windows instead of keeping Linux

Post by knuckles »

With Linux Mint I have made the final Jump to use Linux instead of Windows.
But I need Windows for my Games (the best rpg rts games are only for PC's or only better on it), so because of my PC-Configuration I use Vista 64bit, what work but eat too many of resources.

Now I have installed Windows 7 7048 64bit, and wow (from the first view), faster, lighter, a lot better than Vista, and the new desktop: not bad at all.
So I would give Windows 7 a chance, but it didn't take a long time that I reboot and start my loved custom LinuxMint.

What is it that I missed so by using Windows 7? or Windows in general?
It is simple, the software choice and the way to install software:
an example
-I need a tool to do something! [like Converting a video-File]
On Windows: The own tools don't have what I search. On the internet I got a lot of choice for that I must pay. But I will not pay for a professional-program that have 1000 of functions I never use. The choice of free-ware programs is little, but if I find something, I need to download the Install-file and after install it by clicking next next next in a windows, and final for a lot of applications I need to reboot pfffff. After all that hard work I can try if the application really do what I need, if not, the same from the first step rrrrrrrr... her hours and hours can past only to find the right tool.

On Linux {for me Mint}: 80% Of what I need come out of the box, If an other tool is needed, a little view in MintInstall, is in the most cases enough to find the needed tool an install it by some little clicks. a reboot is rarely needed. That take not at all 5 minutes, and If the tool is not the right tool, the next try only take 5 minutes too. [for video converting avidemux]

And with the Software problem came too the problem If you need to reinstall you PC.
On Windows: Reinstall Windows you need to redo everything from scratch, because the configuration files are gone too (no separate home partition). Resintall all the drivers and software, that take hours .................

On Linux: Reinstall Linux the custom configuration a still there because the separate home partition, for the missed packages(software) only open the package manager, mark everything needed and install it by one single process. So you have reinstalled you system in less than a little hour!

And Linux has a lot more advantages, that I can write pages why it is harder to return to Windows instead of keeping Linux, at the moment you have learn to use and love Linux.

What do you think about that?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Fred

Re: Harder to return to Windows instead of keeping Linux

Post by Fred »

knuckles,

Nice. :-) I like to compare Linux to a good woman. You can spend years trying to learn to live and get along with her. But when you suddenly don't have her around you start to realize just how much she does for you and how much you miss and need her. :-)

Fred
piratesmack

Re: Harder to return to Windows instead of keeping Linux

Post by piratesmack »

I used to play games on my computer.
But then my video card became outdated.

So now I have a Wii :D

Bye-bye Windows

Return to “Software & Applications”