(Too) Huge buttons in Java

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

(Too) Huge buttons in Java

Postby seigneur on Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:09 pm

Hello everyone!

Yesterday, I installed Eclipse and NetBeans on my Linux Mint box (for those who don't know, they're IDE for programming in Java mainly). I did so with "apt-get install eclipse netbeans", just how you'd expect me to do.

Evidently, it installed a bunch of other stuff, such as Java's development kit (libraries and all that).

From then on, I've been having a strange problem, which is that all the buttons and menus have gotten a lot bigger in any Java application (that previously worked properly). I'm guessing this has to do with Java's virtual machine (since no code has been changed nor recompiled before or after the installation of the two softwares). I don't know much about Java quite frankly, and so I have very little clue as to how to solve this problem or what is causing this.

Basically, toolbars, buttons, spaces (between lines), stuff like that have all been amplified to the point where it's not even pretty anymore, and very impractical (because it takes so much space). Here are two screenshots, one of FrostWire (the fields at left are telling), and the second one is an interface used to connect to two chess servers (ICC and FICS). There again, the fields to be filled are way too big compared to what they're supposed to be.

Thanks,
Philippe.

seigneur
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: (Too) Huge buttons in Java

Postby seigneur on Sat Mar 14, 2009 10:53 pm

Hey,

I found out what caused this. It's apparently a bug in OpenJDK that's been reported multiple times.

I just changed the /usr/bin/java symbolic link to the "proper" java (/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun-1.6.0.10/bin/java rather than `/usr/lib/jvm/java-6-openjdk/jre/bin/java). I'm not sure whether it's going to be solved soon, because some places say the bug was believed to be fixed, or had been fixed but reappeared or something. Anyway.

If anyone's interested, here's one of the websites I've seen before understanding: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/openjdk-6/+bug/289784

Sorry for the spam,
Philippe.
seigneur
Level 1
Level 1

Re: (Too) Huge buttons in Java

Postby rivenought on Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:05 am

You beat me to the point of suggesting checking Java versions. While both work just dandy in the majority of cases, there can be some slight differences as you have discovered. Some of my machines run OpenJDK and some run the Sun6 version. I have not run into your exact problem, but I knew it was a possibility. Luckily, you were working faster than I was. I am glad you got it sorted out and shared with everyone. Have fun.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Software & Applications