Skype on Mint 6-x64 (solved)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Skype on Mint 6-x64 (solved)

Postby hamburn on Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:57 am

I have a problem with Skype. Every time I try to make a call to the test-account I get a message " Audio output fails" or so, I get it in German.
Has some body a hint how I can solve that problem?

Thank you

H.
Last edited by hamburn on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
for linux to be successful on the desktop for normal users, normal users have to feel comfortable with it.
The interesting users are your mother, your neighbor. Those are the people that will decide whether or not linux is accepted on the desktop.
M.B.
hamburn
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Skype on Mint 6-x64

Postby Husse on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:42 am

Is there a 64-bit version?
If so it should behave just like the 32-bit version
Can you use Skype at all?
What kind of internet connection do you have? I think the message is generated locally - it's not a voice message is it?
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Skype on Mint 6-x64

Postby hamburn on Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:02 am

Thanks for the questions Husse.
I try to answer them here
Don't know if it is 64 bit version. I installed it with Mint installer. But in the time since then I also installed it on the main version 32bit. Same result. I tested the mike and the earphones by using audio recorder. Worked.
After that I installed PC/OS 2009 v2a on the other half of my hard drive. And there Skype works. It's also based on Ubuntu but on an older version (8.04).
But I want to stay with Mint. Isn't it so, that Mint is using an other sound architecture than Ubuntu?

And no, I can't use Skype. I can log in, and it shows I'm online, but... The message is generated locally. No voice message :) That's just the problem, Skype can't reach my sound devices.

Connection is a LAN. And being on the same hard drive in the same computer I tried Skype with PC/OS on the same cable.

Thank you
for linux to be successful on the desktop for normal users, normal users have to feel comfortable with it.
The interesting users are your mother, your neighbor. Those are the people that will decide whether or not linux is accepted on the desktop.
M.B.
hamburn
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Skype on Mint 6-x64 (solved)

Postby hamburn on Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:24 am

I solved it. I de installed Skype, then running in my root account, deleted every bit of Skype that lingered. And there were a lot of files which lingered.
After that I installed Skype new, but not from Mint software install but from synoptic. I installed Skype static OSS wich is not using Alsa, but OSS.

That was the solution, now it works.

Thanks Husse, for making you thoughts about my problem even if I found it my self.

Now I can use the other half of my hard drive again for playing around with other things :P
M.B.
hamburn
Level 2
Level 2

Re: Skype on Mint 6-x64 (solved)

Postby Husse on Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:37 am

yes that is a problem - (stray) config files that makes things go bad - a bit like registry problems in Windows
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Software & Applications