Virtual box won't open

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

Virtual box won't open

Postby Tony-photoplus on Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:37 am

A little guidance is asked for please on opening up the virtual box. I had followed all the settings to the letter, but I may have missed something on the way ( which is a contradiction I know). But when first opening up I had this .................

Virtual machine 'Tony' has terminated unexpectedly during startup.

Result Code:
NS_ERROR_FAILURE (0x80004005)
Component:
Machine
Interface:
IMachine {1e509de4-d96c-4f44-8b94-860194f710ac}

In the message box behind that I had

VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED (rc=-1908)

The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Re-setup the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root. Users of Ubuntu or Fedora should install the DKMS package at first. This package keeps track of Linux kernel changes and recompiles the vboxdrv kernel module if necessary.

So what is the procedure to reset the kernel module as root? If that is what it is stating?

Thanks

Tony
Tony-photoplus
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Virtual box won't open

Postby garda on Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:49 am

So what is the procedure to reset the kernel module as root?

The error message tells you the answer:
The VirtualBox Linux kernel driver (vboxdrv) is either not loaded or there is a permission problem with /dev/vboxdrv. Re-setup the kernel module by executing

'/etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup'

as root.

That translates into execute this command in Terminal:
Code: Select all
sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv setup
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Postby altair4 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:26 am

The above should take care of it but just double check to make sure you're allowed to use it:

Menu > Administration > Users and Groups > Unlock > Your_user_name > Properties > User Privileges > click "Use Virtualbox" (if it is not already checked )
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby LaneLester on Fri Mar 20, 2009 1:26 pm

Maybe the above will do the trick, but my solution was to uninstall the version in the official repository and get the Sun version. Add this to sources.list to get it:
deb http://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian/ intrepid non-free

Lane
LaneLester
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Tony-photoplus on Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:25 pm

Thanks Lane for your input. I like Mint a lot, but its not going very well. The things I want to work, that are important to me are not going very well. The desktop is not behaving and other things. I have just bought this computer Dual core AMD 64bit and possibly its being a 64bit thats the problem. I read the Mint download and it states that the 64bit might not be stable so I kept with the 32bit. So I am deleting it for now and assessing which Linux would be best.

Thanks

Tony
Tony-photoplus
Level 1
Level 1

Postby muse5187 on Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:39 pm

I had to do a full reboot after i got that error. Virtual Box worked fine there after. and if not try::::::::

modprobe vboxdrv

in a terminal then reload vbox.
muse5187
Level 1
Level 1

Postby el_b on Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:46 am

Thanks muse! It worked for me. I was having the exact same problem.
bill_g >/dev/null
el_b
Level 2
Level 2

Postby muse5187 on Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:39 am

No problem.
muse5187
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Tony-photoplus on Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:31 pm

muse5187 wrote:No problem.

The list of things not working has just made me give up I am afraid. So on ward looking for a Linux that works with my machine. I have several machines I use for the photographic club and each one has different Linux OS as not all seem stable for certain machines. 7 Computers in total.

Thanks for your assistance

Bye
Tony-photoplus
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Megamix Mike on Wed Dec 02, 2009 8:22 am

I am getting the same error when I try to start Virtual Box. I have check the permissions in the Admin users and groups, and when I tried the 'modprobe vboxdrv' in a terminal, I got the following response.

FATAL: Error inserting vboxdrv (/lib/modules/2.6.27-15-generic/updates/vboxdrv/vboxdrv.ko): Operation not permitted

I am fairly new to Linux Mint (it is the first Linux distribution that I've found to be user friendly), but I don't understand what I'm doing wrong.
Megamix Mike
Level 1
Level 1

Postby garda on Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:11 am

Administrative operations must be carried out as root. Add sudo before modprobe.
garda
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Megamix Mike on Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:35 pm

Thanks for that. Finally got it to work, but hadn't realised that I needed an XP disc in order to install Windows into the Virtual Box. I had assumed that having told it that I wanted a Windows XP VB, that it would work like Wine, whereby it had its own system files so that installation exe files would install within the VB. I hadn't needed a Windows OS disc for Wine. Also took me ages to understand why I couldn't get the mouse to control the Windows arrow cursor. I must be a real novice. I need things spelt out in words of one syllable. Doh!
Megamix Mike
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications