Help Please

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Help Please

Postby ckfisher on Tue Dec 05, 2006 10:39 pm

Hi people,
I am for the most part a Windows user mainly because i game alot any way i'm sick of formating my fathers PC so i have decided that i would convert him to Linux!, But the catch is i need to find a Crib game that i can install for him. I come across KardsGT and attempted to install it but to no avail. Basicly i need another Crib game or to figure out how to install this one. If you can help PLEASE do. Here is the Link to the game i installed. I followed instructions to the "T" Transforming it from rpm to DEb file but keep getting the same thing all seemd good untill i try to find it....it's not in my game folder and when i type kardsgt i get a error mssg about libpng.so.3. I tried to find this file and install it and i though i did but to no avail. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank You
Kyle
ckfisher
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Postby clem on Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:09 am

Hi Kyle,

What's "Crib" exactly ? Can you post the link you were talking about?

Check out this page and see if you like these games: http://www.gnome.org/projects/gnome-games/

If you do, and you want to have them installed, all you have to do is open a terminal and type "sudo apt-get install gnome-games".

Hope it helps,
Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Need Help Finding Crib game for Mint!

Postby nick on Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:18 am

Hi
I had to install G++ and QT3 libraries, including qtassitant and then, make, sudo make install.
works O.K. I have KDE desktop. Many thanks have been looking for cribbage fo Linux fo some time :)
Does not add to menu, just type kardsgt, or create link on desktop.
Have you tried running your original cribbage game under Wine? If you give me a link to URL I will have a go.

Regards - Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby ckfisher on Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:28 pm

Hey Can you post links to those dependencies or detailed instructions on how to get them through commandline?....i really want this game pack but am a total NooB....please help...lol

Thanks
Kyle
ckfisher
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ckfisher on Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:57 pm

Here is what i get in command line when i install the deb pakage also as far as i know i have those files installed. Again Please help i need detailed helppp..xD..

Try to get all of your posthumous medals in advance.
jebus@Jebus-pc:~$ su
Password:
Are you a turtle?
root@Jebus-pc:/home/jebus# cd Desktop/
root@Jebus-pc:/home/jebus/Desktop# dpkg -i kardsgt_0.3.0-4_i386.deb
(Reading database ... 120240 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace kardsgt 0.3.0-4 (using kardsgt_0.3.0-4_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement kardsgt ...
Setting up kardsgt (0.3.0-4) ...
root@Jebus-pc:/home/jebus/Desktop# kardsgt
kardsgt: error while loading shared libraries: libpng.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
root@Jebus-pc:/home/jebus/Desktop

Thanks
Kyle
ckfisher
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:19 pm

You need libpng3:

sudo apt-get install libpng3

You know you can simply double click on the deb in nautilus... and it'll open a gui for the installer. I think it'll even check dependencies for you.

Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby ckfisher on Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:57 pm

Hey i used the debianpakg installer and it thought all went well didn't list any dependiceies issues but the game wouldn't run:(

I will try that what u have posted here and post again.

Thanks
Kyle
ckfisher
Level 1
Level 1

Postby ckfisher on Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:01 pm

Clem ur the **** man!!! :D It works now!! but only through command line how do i get it to show up in my games list or create a shortcut on the desktop. If you can help please post. Again THANK YOU all for helping my NooB ass xD

Cheers
Kyle
ckfisher
Level 1
Level 1

Postby clem on Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:40 am

Well I never ran that game... I suppose you can right click somewhere, or use the menu editor.. or create a file in /usr/share/applications.

I'm not quite sure.
Clem
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Postby nick on Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:58 am

Hi
Sorry, I never made myself clear, I compiled the program from source , never mind you have it working.
To make link, right click on desktop, Create New-Link to Application, Click on Application tab,
under command,put kardsgt, under description, "cribbage" or whatever, click general tab, put in cribbage or whatever you want, If you then click on the "blank icon" before closing, you will be given a choice of icons.
Enjoy - Nick
nick
Level 5
Level 5

Postby ckfisher on Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:15 am

Thanks Everyone,
That little card game just converted my father from a 12 year windows user to a Linux user. xD

Anyway thanks Again.

Kyle
ckfisher
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications