How to install a FTP Server

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

How to install a FTP Server

Postby justme on Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:03 pm

I am new to Linux and and trying very hard to get a FTP server to work. I followed the posted information for getting Pure-FTPd to work as they said anyone should have a running FTP server in 5 min. I have spent now more then 5 days now doing everything step by step and then over again from the posted information on their web site. I used package manager to download and install the application. I only need to have 1 account that is able to connect into a specified directory with user name/password using a standard FTP client. I have added permissions to all files folders no firewall no router but under no circumstance am I amble to connect. I always get the same message: (user name OK password failed unable to connect). If someone can please provide me with a step by step tutorial or directions on how to accomplish this I would be very grateful.
justme
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: How to install a FTP Server

Postby exploder on Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:32 pm

What client application are you trying to connect to the server with?
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Re: How to install a FTP Server

Postby kwisher on Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:41 pm

I used this how-to just a few days ago and it works great. If you are behind a router you will need to open a port to allow outside traffic into your local network.

https://help.ubuntu.com/6.06/ubuntu/serverguide/C/ftp-server.html
The instructions suggested Windows XP or better, so I installed Linux :)
kwisher
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Software & Applications