mint's updates

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

mint's updates

Postby elenothar on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:07 pm

hi there. not having used mint for very long yet, i just have one question for now.

with the recent release of gtk 2.16, how long before a core library like that gets updated in mint? i develop in gtk, and i hate compiling it/installing it from source on a box that has a perfectly great package management system.

it maintains binary compatibility with 2.14 if that helps speed up the decision at all >_>

kthx, bai.

hugs and kisses,
bob
elenothar
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: mint's updates

Postby el_b on Wed Mar 25, 2009 7:34 pm

There's checkinstall, maybe you should try it...
bill_g >/dev/null
el_b
Level 2
Level 2

Re: mint's updates

Postby Fred on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:41 am

elenothar,

How fast it takes to get to Mint depends to a great extent on Ubuntu, since Mint uses the Ubuntu repos. In turn that is also dependent on Debian to some extent also. Usually, not always but usually, infrastructure stuff is vetted through Debian experimental first. When it moves into sid Ubuntu usually will pick it up after a month or so. At least that is the way it seems to me.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Return to Software & Applications