Bugs: Mint 6 updates cause panel applets to fail

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Bugs: Mint 6 updates cause panel applets to fail

Postby Bobo-the-Cat on Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:47 pm

Since installing Mint 6.0 - I have had the following problems with panel applets and programs:-

1. Early updates installed using Mint Update caused both Tomboy notes and Gnome Do to fail.
2. Installing ClamAV antivirus has just caused "Sticky Notes" to stop working properly.

There seems to be a trend here - instability in the panel software caused by installation elsewhere.
Bobo-the-Cat
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Bugs: Mint 6 updates cause panel applets to fail

Postby Husse on Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:40 am

Very hard to say what causes it
I've seen scattered reports about more or less similar behaviour but not many
However Intrepid is not all that stable - can be upstream
I'll see if I can find something
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby viking777 on Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:58 pm

I use MintUpdate, gnome-do and clamav and everything works perfectly for me. I don't use Tomboy, but I just tried it and it works perfectly as well.

Difficult to explain, like so many things in computing. Hardware perhaps? I don't know.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby gumby on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:07 pm

Bobo-the-Cat wrote:Since installing Mint 6.0 - I have had the following problems with panel applets and programs:-

1. Early updates installed using Mint Update caused both Tomboy notes and Gnome Do to fail.
2. Installing ClamAV antivirus has just caused "Sticky Notes" to stop working properly.

There seems to be a trend here - instability in the panel software caused by installation elsewhere.

Bobo,

I just spent several hours trying to find "Sticky Notes 1.1.5" but can only find it in a tarball. As I'm a newbie, I don't yet know how to compile a program from a tarball. Do you perhaps have a deb of the program or know where one can be found? Thanks.
gumby
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Bobo-the-Cat on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:34 am

Gumby,

You can find Sticky-Notes by right-clicking on the panel/tray at the bottom of the screen and selecting "Add to Panel". Scroll down the list of applications and you should see it there.
Bobo-the-Cat
Level 2
Level 2

Postby gumby on Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:18 pm

Bobo,

Thanks. But I am not convinced that the "sticky notes" panel applet is the same as "Sticky Notes 1.1.5." I think the latter might be a different, and better program.
gumby
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Software & Applications