RANT: Overcomplicated sound system

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

RANT: Overcomplicated sound system

Postby clee on Sat Mar 28, 2009 5:37 am

I just installed Mint and I'm spending all night and all day fighting with the sound system. Pulse is obviously very clever and flexible but I don't need all that stuff. I just want rhythmbox and skype to work. Right now, I've got neither. Instead I've got feedback howls and noise. They kinda worked before the last reboot and I swear I didn't fiddle with anything. How many people want this kind of complication anyway? The web is overflowing with people having trouble with this and they all advise different ways to fix it, which suggests that none of them really know which of the guzzilion buttons was the important one. I tried deinstalling it and everything broke, and when I tried deinstalling alsa as well it removed everything dependant on gnome leaving me with little more than bash. I just wanna see mic and speaker devices show up in my apps. Nothing more. They should stay where they are and always work. They need one slider each. The pulse website expects me to go round every app and put something in their config files, but why do I have to when I never wanted any of that functionality? And besides, nothing it does makes any sense. The mp3 I'm playing calls itself a "sink" and when I'm looking (not listening) at it's volume meter it's labeled as the mic. It's one of the worst cases of featuritis I ever saw. Please tell me how to get back to a simple mic and speaker configuration and ship Mint that way from now on. If you really think its worth a damn you can put it in mintstall and count how many people bother.
clee
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: RANT: Overcomplicated sound system

Postby DataMan on Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:23 am

= Windows ... stay happy there ,,,

-DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Re: RANT: Overcomplicated sound system

Postby rivenought on Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:12 am

You may wish to test drive distros and desktops that do not ship with PulseAudio. For example, the new Debian 5 "Lenny" GNOME desktop does not use PulseAudio. ALSA is used there (on my install, anyway), but PulseAudio can be installed if anyone wants it. I have also seen KDE with Phonon audio, so that would be something different.

PulseAudio can be uninstalled if you do not like it. If Synaptic says it is going to uninstall some GNOME meta package, that is just a meta package. When I break a meta package, I just add those few packages back in manually in a few seconds. No more meta package problems.

It is never fun to have problematic hardware or get an update that messes up your finely-tuned system. I do the best I can to treat these instances as learning opportunities. Good luck.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Software & Applications