APTonCD crashes

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

APTonCD crashes

Postby Raphael on Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:57 pm

I'm on Mint 6. Whenever I start Aptoncd and click on "Create", at some point while it reads package informations, it simply crashes and disappears. When I start aptoncd from the terminal, I get the message "FATAL -> Failed to fork." in the terminal at the point when it crashes. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Raphael
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: APTonCD crashes

Postby distoaddict on Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:42 am

I have had this problem. Try this version of aptoncd. http://launchpadlibrarian.net/18476205/ ... u4_all.deb .It works better for me.
distoaddict
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Flywaver on Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:00 pm

I have the exact same problem here with Mint 6 Standard edition...APTonCD disappears after about 50% reading the info packages!

And, I DO run the latest version, which is 0.1.98

Cheers!
Flywaver
Level 1
Level 1

Re: APTonCD *still* crashes

Postby RichardH on Sat Sep 26, 2009 5:40 pm

And it still does the same on Mint 7 Gnome.

Seems like it hasn-t worked for a long time.
Any ideas, anybody.

[Edit: Even after purging/reinstalling, installing python2.5 and the version in repository as suggested as the fix in an ubuntu thread found via google --It still crashes. This has been going on for a couple of years now.

Perhaps this useless app should be removed from the CD?]

It's a shame, really. A very handy app for installing other machines without network/internet support.
Guess it's time to try Remastersys again.

regards,
Richard.
RichardH
Level 3
Level 3

Postby emorrp1 on Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:57 am

Thanks, I'll look into it, is there any more info you can give me about why it crashes (try running it in a terminal)? are you running from the liveCD or an installed system? What version of APTonCD etc.?

EDIT: I've just tested it, and it doesn't crash on me (0.1.98-0ubuntu4), so please provide as much info as possible if you actually want it fixed.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby RichardH on Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:44 pm

@emorrp1,

Just noticed this reply.

Since I now have a fresh install of LM7Gloria, I'll give it a try as soon as I catch some free time.
Nice to be working at something again.
RichardH
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rhodry on Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:55 pm

I have been using it under Gnome & Kde4 versions of 'Gloria' quite a bit (0.1.98-0ubuntu4) without a single glitch? Looks like it is not universal problem, so would need more details as mentioned.

Rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Postby EldiS on Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:08 pm

Same problem here...

After fresh install of Gloria it worked just fine, few times when i tested it. And I had about 100Mb of downloaded packages at that moment. And I havent been running it for a few days, and just before few minutes I started AptonCD to see how much stuff I downloaded till now, and it crashes at about 94% of reading repositories. I tried with reinstalling but the same problem stil exist. :(

And I was so happy about this application... :(

Any alternatives to AptonCD?
EldiS
Level 2
Level 2

Postby EldiS on Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:01 pm

Ok, I just find a "solution" if this could be called a solution.
First of all I find out that fix for this bug is never found. I browsed a lot on lounchpad and ubuntu forums and I found that this bug could be probably caused by high consumption of memory by APTonCD while reading packages. So I found that with some people it worked if they removed some packages from repository, and I decided to do the same thing.
So I removed some programs I don't use, and restarted comp. And what a miracle... APTonCD is now working (with about 325Mb of packages stored).
Weird Bug... I was hoping I could store a full DVD when the time comes.
EldiS
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications