APTonCD crashes

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Raphael
Level 1
Level 1

APTonCD crashes

Post by Raphael »

I'm on Mint 6. Whenever I start Aptoncd and click on "Create", at some point while it reads package informations, it simply crashes and disappears. When I start aptoncd from the terminal, I get the message "FATAL -> Failed to fork." in the terminal at the point when it crashes. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
distoaddict

Re: APTonCD crashes

Post by distoaddict »

I have had this problem. Try this version of aptoncd. http://launchpadlibrarian.net/18476205/ ... u4_all.deb .It works better for me.
RichardH

Re: APTonCD *still* crashes

Post by RichardH »

And it still does the same on Mint 7 Gnome.

Seems like it hasn-t worked for a long time.
Any ideas, anybody.

[Edit: Even after purging/reinstalling, installing python2.5 and the version in repository as suggested as the fix in an ubuntu thread found via google --It still crashes. This has been going on for a couple of years now.

Perhaps this useless app should be removed from the CD?]

It's a shame, really. A very handy app for installing other machines without network/internet support.
Guess it's time to try Remastersys again.

regards,
Richard.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

Thanks, I'll look into it, is there any more info you can give me about why it crashes (try running it in a terminal)? are you running from the liveCD or an installed system? What version of APTonCD etc.?

EDIT: I've just tested it, and it doesn't crash on me (0.1.98-0ubuntu4), so please provide as much info as possible if you actually want it fixed.
RichardH

Post by RichardH »

@emorrp1,

Just noticed this reply.

Since I now have a fresh install of LM7Gloria, I'll give it a try as soon as I catch some free time.
Nice to be working at something again.
rhodry
Level 4
Level 4

Post by rhodry »

I have been using it under Gnome & Kde4 versions of 'Gloria' quite a bit (0.1.98-0ubuntu4) without a single glitch? Looks like it is not universal problem, so would need more details as mentioned.

Rhodry.
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass...
it's about learning to dance in the rain.
EldiS

Post by EldiS »

Same problem here...

After fresh install of Gloria it worked just fine, few times when i tested it. And I had about 100Mb of downloaded packages at that moment. And I havent been running it for a few days, and just before few minutes I started AptonCD to see how much stuff I downloaded till now, and it crashes at about 94% of reading repositories. I tried with reinstalling but the same problem stil exist. :(

And I was so happy about this application... :(

Any alternatives to AptonCD?
EldiS

Post by EldiS »

Ok, I just find a "solution" if this could be called a solution.
First of all I find out that fix for this bug is never found. I browsed a lot on lounchpad and ubuntu forums and I found that this bug could be probably caused by high consumption of memory by APTonCD while reading packages. So I found that with some people it worked if they removed some packages from repository, and I decided to do the same thing.
So I removed some programs I don't use, and restarted comp. And what a miracle... APTonCD is now working (with about 325Mb of packages stored).
Weird Bug... I was hoping I could store a full DVD when the time comes.

Return to “Software & Applications”