GIMP crash

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

GIMP crash

Postby dudo on Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:51 pm

Hi,

my GIMP app crashes. Log says:

kernel: [80479.439687] gnome-system-lo[32536]: segfault at 2 ip b767951b sp bfcb77d0 error 4 in libglib-2.0.so.0.1800.2[b7621000+b5000]

Can you please give me some advice how to fix it? Can be the libglib library updated and how?

I have GNU / Linux Mint 6 and the latest GIMP (2.6.6.) .
" Roses are red, violets blue,
my linux is green ... and me too :) . "

I mean, that I am a newbie and I happily use Linux Mint as my GNU/Linux.
Felicia UE @ NB Fujitsu-Siemens C2D T7300 w/ ATI HD2400 (better go for nvidia with gnu/linux)
dudo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: GIMP crash

Postby dudo on Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:20 am

OK, I downgraded the libglib package to the first available in Package manager, but no change. I am back with the latest.

I have libglib2.0-0 and libglib2.0-data version 2.18.2-0ubuntu2.1 . I didn't found any new at http://www.getdeb.net . I build also the latest from ftp.gnome.org (2.18.4) and still no luck (well, I made all the steps described in INSTALL text file, I mean the commands - in reality I don't know if I have pkg-config installed, Sypantic didn't told me and does not shows that I have 2.18.4. installed now). Anyway, does GIMP work in your GNU / Linux Mint Felicia Gnome distribution?

Felicia UE @ NB Fujitsu-Siemens C2D T7300 w/ ATI HD2400 (better go for nvidia with gnu/linux)
dudo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby JohnH on Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:55 am

Dudo,

GIMP does indeed work in other earlier versions of Mint.

One thing I have found is that for GIMP to install properly from GetDeb is to uninstall it first before you install your new downloaded version. I frequently have had issues trying to install (GIMP) from GetDeb until I worked out that I needed to uninstall my resident version first.

I'm not an expert, but it works for me.

Best of luck

John
If you get too big for your britches, you will be exposed in the end.
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Postby dlkreations on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:59 pm

JohnH wrote:Dudo,

GIMP does indeed work in other earlier versions of Mint.

One thing I have found is that for GIMP to install properly from GetDeb is to uninstall it first before you install your new downloaded version. I frequently have had issues trying to install (GIMP) from GetDeb until I worked out that I needed to uninstall my resident version first.

I'm not an expert, but it works for me.

Best of luck

John

+1

This is actually very true. Go into Synaptec and uninstall the existing version of Gimp first. Then in order, install all the packages that are on the getdeb site:

1. libgimp2.0

2. gimp-data

3. gimp

All should install correctly, and will run.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby dudo on Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:29 pm

Hi guys,

thanks for your help, it helped me further. I did all the steps, that is first I uninstalled "gimp" package using Synaptic and then I installed those packages from getdeb.net as you described (ok, maybe I should uninstall the libgimp and gimp-data too, but I did it as a second attempt afterwards to try to install gimp again). Anyway gimp still does not work. I mean I can run it, but I get freezed when I e.g. want to resize an image. I do not see the usual resize dialog, just a window area with only two or so fields, and an empty area around, where should be normaly other fields like "OK" button and so on.

Just to mention, I use Gimp for several years now, though only as an amateur. It works in Windows at my work and I imagine it works in KDE env. I think its a 2.24. Gnome issue (or lets say Ubuntu 8.10 - I red it in forums, something like that, but I am kind of overdozed with all those informations yet and I can't work with it), because I used Gimp in Elyssa Main Edition back there. But I wanted a newer Gnome and all other software, so I grabed Felicia. I know, I mean I`m getting used to that wisdom, that new apps shouldn`t be installed as they come. In this manner I wouldn't install the newest Gimp and I would be happy with the Gimp which comes with Felicia (Universal Edition), but it did not worked. Does Gimp work in your Felicia?

Thanks very much for your suggestions so far, they're helping me to better understand this truly miracle of GNU / Linux :) .

dudo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby JohnH on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:12 pm

Hi there dudo,

GIMP does indeed work in Mint 6 Felicia. I'm currently running Gimp 2.6.1 without problems. I don't have a sure fix for your problem. It could be graphics card related, a Compiz issue or a number of other things.

However, your problems sounds like an issue that occurs with Firefox, that is, the window frame is missing. A simple fix is to hit the F11 key, but this is not always a permanent fix. Here is a link to the Firefox fix that "might" help you with GIMP (but just a guess). My solution is part way down the list of replies.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22478

I hope this helps you, as GIMP is a very good product and gets better all the time. I use it for photographic enhancement.

Regards
John
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Postby dudo on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:30 am

Hi JohnH,

thanks for your suggestions, but nothing worked for me so far.

Here is how it looks like:

window.png
window snapshot
window.png (83.12 KiB) Viewed 767 times

Maybe it's a local GTK bug (or metacity - I can't even tell what wm I am running, except "Gnome" ...), but I know on Windows its GTK and that GTK was formely written for GIMP (but I could be mistaken with that too... sorry :) .

Well, I had a clean Felicia reinstall 'cause of this bug viewtopic.php?f=55&t=24016 (yep - me again :) and from the first time the Gimp was not usable. :?

dudo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby JohnH on Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:16 pm

Dudo,

I don't really know what the problem is, but it does sound like a window manager issue/theme issue. Are you using Compiz? If so, there is a neat little package that helps you fiddle with the settings called "Compiz fusion icon". You can get it through Synaptic. Start the icon through Administration and right click it once it is on the task bar. You can select Metacity or Compiz and even reload it.

Also, have you looked in the GIMP Preferences menus for a solution. I recall a variety of options there. Perhaps something was inadvertently switched there?

Other than looking at your window manager and themes, I can't think what else it might be. You might want to post/search on Linux Questions, Ubuntu or GIMP forums for an answer.

As you can see I'm guessing rather than having a real solution......

All the best with this unique problem.

John
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Postby JohnH on Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:11 am

Hey Dudo,

I may have solved your problem. In GIMP go to the View menu and see if you have "Full screen" checked. If you do, then this could be your problem. The full screen option eliminates the window frame. Uncheck it and see if your window reappears.

Just a thought, see if that is your problem.

Best regards
John
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Re: GIMP crash (new facts)

Postby dudo on Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:01 am

Hi John,

thanks so much for your further help. I wanted to give them a good try before I write here again. So, the fusion icon functions are really handy (I'd found this package in Synaptic as "fusion-icon" - just a remark for oders; I overlooked it first time). Well, at least I know with the help of that app that I have "compiz" and not "metacity" as window manager, well and also neither worked for gimp. To entirely turn off Compiz ("Appearence" -> "Visual effects" tab -> none) also didn't help.

As for the "Full screen" option, alas I couldn't enter that options 'cause all sort of gimp dialogs were in this state. I can not even browse Gimp's main settings, that is from "Default image" downwards.

I have to search those posts too as you write John, I didn't did it lately (I have some worries if I wrote this past tense correctly). To speak in present, I've recently tried out the new Felicia KDE CE release and Gimp does work well in there (as it did in Elyssa LTS). I must say that the new KDE is quite impressing, but thats another topic. Anyway I keep Felicia with Gnome next to it as a second (and my previous) system and althrough this problem don't pushes me that hard anymore, I will want to follow it further just to know.

For now I think its either something messy with my Gnome user account profile or some "two" packages don't get around well with each other (and one of them is GTK :). Gee, speaking of my profile, I was sure it was only touched by Gnome (and only Linux Mint), but now I am not sure If I did not shared it once with Open Suse 11.1 .. I can not remember for now (because I didn't used a separate /home everytime in my gnu / linux "carrier"). I was recently instrued not to even think of such an option reading viewtopic.php?f=151&t=24358 , which I understand well now why with that advice (at least I can imagine now). Well well, this is quite shamy situation :oops: .

Maybe now it is a "purge some packages" situation, mean to delete some config files or crossing setups, hmm. Or to create a new account beside for first, hmm. Cool, as I said, I want to follow it further, because the beauty of linux is "you can" :) . Thanks John to follow it with me so far and also to others.

I will write some results as I will come to them. If you would have some suggestions, please write me them.

Sorry for making troubles :) .

Cheers and many thanks again,

Dudo

dudo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby junOlive on Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:14 pm

Hey dudo,

I have had exactly the same problem like you. Right now I tried the following, which worked for me:

1. synaptic -> remove gimp, gimp-data, libgimp completely
2. deleted .gimp-2.6 in my home directory
3. reinstalled packages

Maybe
Code: Select all
rm -rf ~/.gimp-2.6
is the solution?

Good luck!
junOlive
Level 1
Level 1

Re: GIMP crash (found the bug)

Postby dudo on Fri May 01, 2009 6:41 am

Hi junOlive and others,

I have found the bug. When you switch Gimp´s theme in its Preferences to "Small" (that build-in theme which ships in with Gimp), this malfunctional behaviours will eventualy start. I used the "Small" theme all the times and after initial Felicia CE install and the first run of Gimp I made my usual setups (memory usage, what´s shown and other options) too and .. you know the story. I´ve tested it to this point. I´ve tried your suggestion junOlive and it worked, but only so far I did again those "plenty of" settings to Gimp. So that was the clue. Thanks again.

So, the theme needs to be set (or let) to "Default". Maybe you can confirm this bug?

I have Gimp 2.6.1. and this also happend in 2.6.6. as I wrote back there. My OS is GNU / Linux Mint 6 Felicia Universal Edition with Gnome 2.24.1 (so LM is all standard, only regulary updated by MintUpdate, no different kernel or so) . It does not occur in Elyssa LTS - as I remember - and in latest Felicia KDE CE (using now besides Felicia UE).

I can supply further information if desired.

I´ve searched Gimp´s bugzilla and didn´t found any bugs about small theme (http://bugzilla.gnome.org/) nor fixes in "whats new" in Gimp (http://developer.gimp.org/NEWS-2.6) . But I might have overlooked something. So what´s next?

Many thanks,

dudo

dudo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications