GIMP crash

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Re: GIMP crash

Post by JohnH »

Dudo,

GIMP does indeed work in other earlier versions of Mint.

One thing I have found is that for GIMP to install properly from removed is to uninstall it first before you install your new downloaded version. I frequently have had issues trying to install (GIMP) from removed until I worked out that I needed to uninstall my resident version first.

I'm not an expert, but it works for me.

Best of luck

John
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
If you get too big for your britches, you will be exposed in the end.
dlkreations

Post by dlkreations »

JohnH wrote:Dudo,

GIMP does indeed work in other earlier versions of Mint.

One thing I have found is that for GIMP to install properly from removed is to uninstall it first before you install your new downloaded version. I frequently have had issues trying to install (GIMP) from removed until I worked out that I needed to uninstall my resident version first.

I'm not an expert, but it works for me.

Best of luck

John
+1

This is actually very true. Go into Synaptec and uninstall the existing version of Gimp first. Then in order, install all the packages that are on the removed site:

1. libgimp2.0

2. gimp-data

3. gimp

All should install correctly, and will run.
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnH »

Hi there dudo,

GIMP does indeed work in Mint 6 Felicia. I'm currently running Gimp 2.6.1 without problems. I don't have a sure fix for your problem. It could be graphics card related, a Compiz issue or a number of other things.

However, your problems sounds like an issue that occurs with Firefox, that is, the window frame is missing. A simple fix is to hit the F11 key, but this is not always a permanent fix. Here is a link to the Firefox fix that "might" help you with GIMP (but just a guess). My solution is part way down the list of replies.

http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=22478

I hope this helps you, as GIMP is a very good product and gets better all the time. I use it for photographic enhancement.

Regards
John
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnH »

Dudo,

I don't really know what the problem is, but it does sound like a window manager issue/theme issue. Are you using Compiz? If so, there is a neat little package that helps you fiddle with the settings called "Compiz fusion icon". You can get it through Synaptic. Start the icon through Administration and right click it once it is on the task bar. You can select Metacity or Compiz and even reload it.

Also, have you looked in the GIMP Preferences menus for a solution. I recall a variety of options there. Perhaps something was inadvertently switched there?

Other than looking at your window manager and themes, I can't think what else it might be. You might want to post/search on Linux Questions, Ubuntu or GIMP forums for an answer.

As you can see I'm guessing rather than having a real solution......

All the best with this unique problem.

John
JohnH
Level 4
Level 4

Post by JohnH »

Hey Dudo,

I may have solved your problem. In GIMP go to the View menu and see if you have "Full screen" checked. If you do, then this could be your problem. The full screen option eliminates the window frame. Uncheck it and see if your window reappears.

Just a thought, see if that is your problem.

Best regards
John
junOlive

Post by junOlive »

Hey dudo,

I have had exactly the same problem like you. Right now I tried the following, which worked for me:

1. synaptic -> remove gimp, gimp-data, libgimp completely
2. deleted .gimp-2.6 in my home directory
3. reinstalled packages

Maybe

Code: Select all

rm -rf ~/.gimp-2.6
is the solution?

Good luck!

Return to “Software & Applications”