old topic, no answer, same problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

old topic, no answer, same problem

Postby Gee7 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:26 am

Hello

Does anyone know how to get sound on LinuxMint-6, please?

For the last decade, top of my wish list has been a graphical user interface where the user can click: search and show soundcards and then select one as default. Anyway, that's a 22nd century dream ...

I've used LinuxMint-4 until now because there I could set the sound by asking in a terminal for information about the sound cards, and then setting my PCI card as default. LinuxMint was so smooth and great.

However I cannot do this in LinuxMint-6 - requests in the terminal to order the priority of soundcards and set one as default are ignored.

I can neither play music or videos nor get internet sound on youtube, nor get background sounds. If i re-install LinuxMint-4 the sound works perfectly, so it isn't a hardware problem. LinuxMint-4 did not use pulse audio, whatever that is, so i tried deleting pulse-audio in the synaptic packet manager, and suddenly i could get sound on youtube. But when i tried to log in again next time, i was unable to log in - a message said because the system could not execute usr/bin/pulse-session ... so i had to use the installation CD again and make a whole fresh install! I think that this pulse audio stops internet sound working, but there is no way to delete it ...

In the terminal, 2 sound cards are shown:

0 snd_via82xx
1 snd_ens1371

What i need to do is reverse the order, so that the working soundcard snd_ens1371 comes first and is made default, but i do not know how to do this in LinuxMint-6.

Any suggestions would be welcome.

sincerely

another puzzled old fellow

Gee
Gee7
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: old topic, no answer, same problem

Postby merlwiz79 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:27 am

You should be able to select the default device.
Just double click the volume icon on the panel.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Gee7 on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:46 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, Merlwiz. I've done that but it doesn't work.

I have actually got the system to recognise my sound card as priority now (for how long I don't know, it may revert back sometime when I log out), but I still have no sound. There must be a conflict somewhere, maybe something else grabbing the sound card.

In Menu/Preferences/Sound/Devices I can check out the sound card and it buzzes away happily when I click "Test". LinuxMint-4 gives no problem with sound, it was brilliantly written, but I can't stay forever with older software, as it may be vulnerable to viruses or hacks when the support goes this April :?
Gee7
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rmockler on Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:03 pm

Because April is just about here, why not try Linux Mint 5, Elyssa, the LTS version. If it works satisfactorily, then you are at least OK until May of 2011. I installed it and everything worked perfectly. So I'm ignoring 6 altogether, and I'm not planning on moving up for a while because of the stability of Elyssa.
~Richard
Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE)
HP Omni 220-1050XT, Intel(R) Core i5 2400S Quad CPU @ 3.3 GHz, 6Gb DDR3 Ram, 1Tb HD,
AMD Radeon HD 6450 Graphics 1GB, 21.5" LCD, Beats Audio
rmockler
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Gee7 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:20 am

That's excellent advice, Richard, and I will download Mint-5 this evening ...

Hopefully another user-friendly Mint will appear in the next 2 years.

Because of my great experience with LinuxMint-4, this week I recommended LinuxMint to a couple of people abroad and now I feel a bit bad about that - if they try it, they will no doubt naturally download the latest distro LinuxMint-6 and may well encounter problems.

I am not a fan of Ubuntu because it's clumsy, slow and parts of it don't work - it's the differences that make LinuxMint so good, not the similarities, so I hope that our boys here keep tweaking and changing the software and bring us another good distro in the future.

Thanks again for the recommendation :-)

Gee7
Gee7
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bigbearomaha on Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:31 am

I happen to agree on that.

I only use those Mint editions that are based on LTS editions now.

Question Ihave though is...

Will Mint support 5 as buntu will support 8.04?

In other words, will Mint keep adding updates and support to the Mint Elyssa repo for the same time frame?

If so, then I think Mint will tie Sidux for my #1 desktop distro. ( actually, Sidux is only for machines that I only use, for machines others use, I tend to install Mint or PCLOS, leaning more toward Mint in new installs lately.)

Big Bear
Saving the world, one bee at a time
http://bbe-tech.com/
bigbearomaha
Level 3
Level 3

Postby rmockler on Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:25 pm

Pertaining to this topic, the statements below appeared in today's Monthly Stats:
Attachments
mint5.png
mint5.png (29.22 KiB) Viewed 435 times
Linux Mint Debian Edition (LMDE)
HP Omni 220-1050XT, Intel(R) Core i5 2400S Quad CPU @ 3.3 GHz, 6Gb DDR3 Ram, 1Tb HD,
AMD Radeon HD 6450 Graphics 1GB, 21.5" LCD, Beats Audio
rmockler
Level 2
Level 2

Postby Gee7 on Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:02 am

That's interesting, thanks for the info.

It's necessary for someone at LinuxMint to contact distributors too, if they want to push Elyssa.

I downloaded Elyssa-5-r1.iso and got the sound working fine and I feel comfortable with it, so thanks again for that recommendation - but I noticed for example that Linux Man, one of the best distributors of all kinds of Linux and a shop I'd recommend, only advertises LinuxMint-6 on his website, so we need to ask the people who download and package Mint for sale to also advertise Elyssa.

A long term stable operating system is more suitable for the majority of general computer users (rather than experimenters and programmers checking out opposition distros), that's why Microsoft XP has kept going for so long. I would prefer to see a new Mint every 4 years, rather than every 6 months - people get used to an operating system, they learn to love and depend on it, that relationship never happens with a here today, gone tomorrow distro. Actually, I'm also keeping LinuxMint-4 on an old computer for sometime use, because it's not yet time for me to say goodbye to my favourite O/S :P
Gee7
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications