Firefox 3.07 aggravation

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Firefox 3.07 aggravation

Postby alun_sundry on Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:01 am

I had thought I'd updated to Firefox 3.08, but it's still saying 3.07 under Help > About Mozilla etc. Flashplayer videos are crashing - not on Youtube, but more 'crowded' pages like MySpace. I see other people have had bother with 3.07.

Are the updates, i.e. 3.04 to 3.05, etc, important, security-wise, as I'd been told? Even though we're apparently without real security worries with Linux? I would rather stick with a version if I could, as at least every other version seems a nuisance.

Does it sound like my update to 3.08 failed in some way? I did try the reinstall option through Synaptic. What's the best solution to this? Would anyone know if Mint 7/Ubuntu 9.04 will have Firefox 3.08?

I'm also getting a window come up saying I'm trying to open a BIN file called ST, and do I want to save it.

Thanks.
alun_sundry
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Firefox 3.07 aggravation

Postby Husse on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:13 am

FF 3.0.8 was/is in mintUpdate
Can you describe the bin file ting more
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby emorrp1 on Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:41 am

I think 3.0.8 fixes the critical security hole exploited at cansecwest, so yes it's an important upgrade, and these upgrade *usually* happen without a hitch, so I'd stick with them. I'd try these actions in succession, re-opening firefox inbetween to check if it's fixed: restart firefox; logout (restart x); reboot; reinstall firefox; search for more answers on forums; reinstall mint.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby alun_sundry on Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:00 am

This is what's said with the latest recurrence of the 'st' thing:

You have chosen to open

[file-type icon] st
which is a: BIN file
Would you like to save this file?

I remember the http site was ads.yieldmanager.com before

I have reinstalled Mint 6 also (for a little while longer therefore I have Firefox 3.0.3), so I'm surprised it's recurred. I was wondering if it might be that my MySpace account has in some way been compromised, or these are just unethical advertisers, which of course is not something you can or should help with, unless you happen to know of this type of problem and are happy to suggest something.

I did eventually sort the 3.0.8 upgrade problem out though - though I had installed .8, if I scroll down in Synaptic .7 is still there. I wouldn't know what exactly the problem was but once I'd got rid of .7 then .8 was installed fine. Just in case someone comes looking here with the same problem.

Thanks for any further pointers....
alun_sundry
Level 3
Level 3

Postby emorrp1 on Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:46 am

the Adblock Plus FF extension will block that popup for you, as it has advanced rules to block urls like ads.* or */ads/* etc.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby alun_sundry on Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:59 am

Yes, I'd forgotten about adBlock, I'll install that right now. But, it's not really popping-up as such is it? It's appearing like a download. I have Shockwave turned off at the moment and a similar thing's just happened with a flash file on the same site.

Things are slightly complicated at the moment by the fact that there seems to be some problem with the Ubuntu repositaries, so I can't right away see if upgrading again to 3.0.8 will cure things.

Sigh....
alun_sundry
Level 3
Level 3

Postby alun_sundry on Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:46 am

All sorted now - got rid of 3.0.3, put AdBlock on, did the measures described in my other thread described nearby and installed 3.0.8.

A close shave, as I was about to return to the dreaded Vista dual-boot days....
alun_sundry
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Husse on Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:57 pm

This is what's said with the latest recurrence of the 'st' thing:

You have chosen to open

[file-type icon] st
which is a: BIN file
Would you like to save this file?

This is some sh-t from an advertising site
Whenever I see something like that I say no thanks
You have probably clicked a link and you should perhaps be happy you're on Linux (could be a virus)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications