Sticky Notes 1.1.5 available for Mint?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Sticky Notes 1.1.5 available for Mint?

Postby gumby on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:11 pm

This program is not available in Synaptic. I can only find tarballs of the program in a Google search. I don't know how to install a tarball. Does a deb file exist? (I am a newb) :shock:
gumby
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Sticky Notes 1.1.5 available for Mint?

Postby merlwiz79 on Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:29 pm

The last version was made in 2005.
So it hasn't been ported to kde 4.
Try knotes for KDE 4.(in the repo)
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby gumby on Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:47 am

Thanks Merlwiz. But I'm using Gnome, not KDE. I understand that I can still run Knotes, but it would mean using more system resources for the KDE files that would also have to run. Also, my research on Knotes indicates that it doesn't function the way I want.

I want something that works like Stickies, a Windows freeware that is very flexible and lets each note have its own type size and formatting.

I also tried Xpad, and it doesn't let me adjust font size for each sticky independenty, which I like to do so the more urgent stickies get more attention.

So I'd still like to try Sticky Notes. Are you implying it won't run on Felicia?
gumby
Level 3
Level 3

Postby merlwiz79 on Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:05 am

Ok I saw that it was recommend for kde, but I see that it doesn't require kde.
It is similar to knotes but does not require KDE and features better configurability.

Maybe I can make a package for it.
Edit: it requires the qt libs so you still need the kde library qt.
If you still want to try I can try to make a deb.
Have you tried Tomboy and sticky notes panel applets?
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby gumby on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:15 pm

Merlwiz,

I didn't even know about the Sticky Notes panel applet until you mentioned it. Is this the same program as Sticky Notes 1.1.5? I hope not, because the configurability of the applet notes is not quite what I wanted. You can change the font size in the Preferences but it seems to apply it to all notes, and I like changing the font size and color for each note individually, as that lets me rank them in urgency and quickly draws my eye to the most urgent notes. (Doesn't that make sense? Why don't these programs implement this?)

I don't know if Sticky Notes 1.1.5 works this way. I can see that Tomboy Notes does not seem to do so. So, if you can make a deb of 1.1.5 I would be very grateful, and concede that you are indeed a wiz and the savior of noobs everywhere. :)
gumby
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Software & Applications