ANYONE know how to tether with a Blackberry?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

ANYONE know how to tether with a Blackberry?

Postby Crimson_Wake on Tue Apr 07, 2009 1:10 am

Two things off the bat:

1 - I've read at least 5 different tutorials on how to do it with no luck. I can't get certain parts to load (Xlt is on my desktop, but I can't compile or configure any of it). I don't know why this is such a pain in the ass.

2 - The articles on how to do it are from 2007, and some of the repos are not valid. I can't acquire what I'm supposed to have, and when I DL things to my desktop, I have trouble accessing them and making them work.

So apparently I really suck at compiling. I have build-essential, and it's no use to me. I've got Barry and xmblackberry, but neither one will work. Barry opened and discovered my phone, but wouldn't connect. Then it wouldn't allow me to discover any networks with the wifi card after I shut Barry down. It's still on the desktop, but I'm not sure I should run it.

Does ANYONE have an up-to-date, step-by-step walk through on how to get this to work? I seem to make it through the first couple of steps, but then libraries are missing, and I can't get anyone to help me. Please give me some direction!

Have an outstanding night!

Blake
Crimson_Wake
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: ANYONE know how to tether with a Blackberry?

Postby miket on Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:32 am

Hi !

I've not got one of these devices nor would I really like one, however this URL may be of help to you:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=923274

I did a google search and there are a lot of resources out there on this subject so I guess you are going to have to trawl a few and see what you can come up with.

Mike.

Crimson_Wake wrote:Two things off the bat:

1 - I've read at least 5 different tutorials on how to do it with no luck. I can't get certain parts to load (Xlt is on my desktop, but I can't compile or configure any of it). I don't know why this is such a pain in the ass.

2 - The articles on how to do it are from 2007, and some of the repos are not valid. I can't acquire what I'm supposed to have, and when I DL things to my desktop, I have trouble accessing them and making them work.

So apparently I really suck at compiling. I have build-essential, and it's no use to me. I've got Barry and xmblackberry, but neither one will work. Barry opened and discovered my phone, but wouldn't connect. Then it wouldn't allow me to discover any networks with the wifi card after I shut Barry down. It's still on the desktop, but I'm not sure I should run it.

Does ANYONE have an up-to-date, step-by-step walk through on how to get this to work? I seem to make it through the first couple of steps, but then libraries are missing, and I can't get anyone to help me. Please give me some direction!

Have an outstanding night!

Blake
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Re: ANYONE know how to tether with a Blackberry?

Postby Crimson_Wake on Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:18 pm

I've read that one. The problem is that I don't have Bluetooth on my laptop. I mean, I have the button, and I may have the hardware, but I can't get it to initialize, so I'm assuming it's not there. I cannot get the libraries to work correctly, and that means I can't get Barry or xmblackberry to work properly.

I was just thinking that it's2009, and somebody, somewhere MUST have a better way. Then again, most laptops have bluetooth, which is a snap to make work.

I guess I was just throwing a request out there.
Crimson_Wake
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications