Thunderbird spam filtering problem

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Thunderbird spam filtering problem

Postby mrmunson on Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:25 pm

Dear all
First post out so bare with me fellas Ok. :wink: Does anyone more than me have a problem with Thunderbird not filtering spam-mail? I've set and activated all spammail filtering features for the account (and in general). I've even activated spam-filtering-logging and fair enough, it remains empty, i.e., nothing is being done by the application to filter out spam and move it to the designated folder specified in the preferences under account settings.

I am tempted to just delete the account and start over again but that would not be a smart way of figuring out what the freakin problem is would it.

Any others currently having or having experienced this problem? It is doing my head in cause I get the liberty of manually deleting around 30 spammails a day like it is now. The adaptive filter don't seem to be doing much learning either since no spam has been filtered automatically till this day.

Any pointers is greatly appreciated. :)
mrmunson
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Thunderbird spam filtering problem

Postby Husse on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:23 am

TB has filtered spam for me during many years, only I had mostly about 400 a day.
The only thing I can think of is the setting not to treat as junk if the sender is in your personal address book
Check the TB forums
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=39
Välkommen till Mint mrmunson
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby mrmunson on Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:36 am

Thanks for the prompt reply Husse. :) Kungligt.

I am doing some tests on the account now to see if Thunderbird behaves any different to different setting in order to try and get a better grip of what the actual problem is. Do you (or anyone else for that matter) know if TB relies on any additional packade for the spam filter funktion?
mrmunson
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:30 am

To my knowledge there is only one package + some locale package and a gnome do plugin + xulrunner and these are not involved in spam filtering
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby mrmunson on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:09 am

Cool. Same as I suspect as well. I've just renamed my profile folder for TB (~/.mozilla-thunderbird) and the spam feature seem to be working now. Fair enough that the problem is fixed, but I don't like it when I don't know the actual source of the issue. Bisarre I know cause I should really be glad that it seem to be on par but I can't help it. :)
mrmunson
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications