Wine issues, any options?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Wine issues, any options?

Postby Twan013 on Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:21 pm

How can I put a program from Wine (Microsoft Excel, CAD, any game, etc) onto the LinuxMint desktop so I can quickly open it? From my experience, I have to go through the Menu > wine > browse C:/ > and then go through all the files and folders to find what I want to open, which is a major headache
Twan013
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Wine issues, any options?

Postby iironjade on Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:51 pm

Twan013 wrote:How can I put a program from Wine (Microsoft Excel, CAD, any game, etc) onto the LinuxMint desktop so I can quickly open it? From my experience, I have to go through the Menu > wine > browse C:/ > and then go through all the files and folders to find what I want to open, which is a major headache

Even with Wine, the programs' own installation wizards should give you the option to install a desktop icon. They do for me at least.
"A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming."
iironjade
Level 4
Level 4

Postby merlwiz79 on Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:25 pm

Every program I have tested installed a menu shortcut.
The I can just drag and drop it to the desktop.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Twan013 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:53 am

Strange.

Well, I've learned that the ONLY thing I can do with Linux is use Firefox without ripping my hair out. Before, I tried Ubuntu (I was told it was the closest thing to Windows), and then I was convinced to try Linux Mint. Maybe I'm just not a linux guy. I've read, studied, tried, and failed. With Ubuntu, my Wi-Fi card wouldn't work, and the speakers were screwed up. Mint works better, but I just can't do what I need to do. Is there another option besides Wine? anything that works better? I would go back to windows, but I don't have an install CD, and I don't want to pay $200 for Vista Basic.
Twan013
Level 1
Level 1

Postby atlef on Sat Apr 18, 2009 5:24 am

One option would be to install Windows in VirtualBox.
If you have a valid key for your current install of Windows, you can download a CD of your version. This requires you to know where to download a copy of XP.

atlef.
atlef
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Twan013 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 11:05 pm

But if I could get a copy of my version of windows, I wouldn't want to still use linux. I'm going to spend the next couple of days really trying to work with LM, and seeing if there is really anything in it for me. I do like how you can easily change the color and transparency of the toolbar, and the size of the icons, and Compiz was fun at first, but now, i don't even fool with it. But like I said, I'm gonna go browsing around and seeing if its worth the hassle for me.
Twan013
Level 1
Level 1

Postby deverett on Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:00 pm

Here is how i did it, Right click panel then add custom Launcher, add the name of program in the command line I'll give you the example of my bible program
( xdg-open .wine/dosdevices/c:/bible/BibleWin.exe ). Just do the xdg-open .wine/dosdevises/c:/ and your program folder and exe file, wine is case sensitive. hope this helps.
deverett
Level 1
Level 1

Postby DJKnutsen on Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:08 pm

Twan013.. I'm using CrossOver to run my Windows based password storage program, and I couldn't get it to work with Wine at all... Take a look at ... http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxlinux/ ... They list a bunch of proven to be compatible software, you might find an answer there...(mine wasn't on the list, but it worked!!) It installs your windows programs, and then creates a group call Windows Apps, where you'll find the icon to run them... Good luck, Cheers... Dave
DJKnutsen
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hoe on Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:30 pm

As far as getting an icon on the desktop, just open the menu and drag it to the desktop or the tool bar :-)

Wayne
hoe
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications