X server just stops working

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Sanva

X server just stops working

Post by Sanva »

Hi!

I'm using LinuxMint 6 and mi problem is simply that the X server just stops working :? .

I can't give you a lot of information about the problem because I think I've not do anything strange... since last weeks I had the computer on, over 350 hours and this last weekend I turn it off. Yesterday I turn it on again and the X server doesn't work: The laptop monitor has got some strange and coloured lines and the external one has some black and white shapes (they looked like an unsyntonized TV, but static). Moreover, when I tried to press Ctrl + Alt + F1 to switch to tty1, the laptop restarts itself. As the problem persisted, I boot the laptop in recovery mode and I chose try to fix X server. Now when I turn my laptop on in the main screen there are some violet lines in the upper area of the screen (and the lower is black), and in the external one there are the same but sometimes it disconnects :? .

The more estrange thing is that the xorg.conf is the same that I'm using now, from a LiveCD (I suppose that the option try to fix X server simply makes a new automatic xorg.conf)
Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
EndSection
and the LiveCD its working.

What could I do? Any way to try to fix the problem??

Thanks a lot for your time, and forgive my poor english (I wish you are understanding me).
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: X server just stops working

Post by Husse »

Something must have changed in the installed version and the system should not be changed
Check the logs (/var/log) and tmp (/tmp) folders so they have not filled up your hard disk - a full disk can cause all sorts of symptoms

Return to “Software & Applications”