Ubuntu Randomly Freezes, Mint does not. Why?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Ubuntu Randomly Freezes, Mint does not. Why?

Postby Tonedeaf on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:15 pm

Ever since the release of ubuntu 8.04, I've had problems with the whole OS freezing at random times, killing my homework at all the wrong times and annoying the heck out of me. When 8.10 came out, I was excited to not have to deal with this anymore, but it still happened in both an upgrade and a fresh install. It even happened once with a tryout of 9.04 a few days ago. I promptly went back to Mint 6, but then I realized: Mint is based on ubuntu, and Ubuntu keeps freezing. Why doesn't Mint freeze (not that I'm complaining)?
Tonedeaf
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Ubuntu Randomly Freezes, Mint does not. Why?

Postby altair4 on Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:25 pm

Was this post really written by a Mint developer trying to elicit some praise :lol:
It's the value add you get when you upgrade to Mint of course. :wink:

It could be a lot of things I suppose. Many things you added to get Ubuntu to the way you wanted are preinstalled in Mint. Those Ubuntu additions may have induced some instability depending on how and when they where installed. MintUpdate provides a level of protection by limiting the scope of what is updated by default. I don't know if there is a simple answer to your question.
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 16
Level 16

Postby Lucasbmm on Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:27 pm

This is a very important question for me, because my Ubuntu 9.04 was freezing all the time, less than 5 minutes after logging in. It was impossible to use.

I had Mint 6 a few months ago but wasn't very happy with it, mostly because of a problem I was having with compiz and the rotating cube.

So I came back to Ubuntu 8.10, since I was a long term user and haven't got any problem with it.

Then, came Jaunty Jackalope. It was such a complete disaster. I got so angry with it that I reinstalled mint 6 two days ago, expecting Mint 7 wouldn't show the same problems Ubuntu 9.04 did.

The question is: if Mint Gloria is going to be based on Ubuntu 9.04, how can I be sure it won't show the same freezing problem?

I am so worry that I don't think I will be updating to Gloria as long as i'm sure it's stable enough. I'm tired of reinstalling things and losing files.

Lucas
Lucasbmm
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Lucasbmm on Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:01 am

I installed Mint Gloria and had the same problem I had with Ubuntu 9.04.

I did some research and discovered the problem is probably with my graphic card (ATI Radeon X800GTO). There's no linux driver for this model anymore. The open source driver does't work, so it freezes all the time.

I had to come back to Felicia, at least untill I get another graphic card.

I'm sorry I can't use the new MintMenu. :cry:

Lucas
Lucasbmm
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications