address book organizer

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

address book organizer

Postby fenny on Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:48 pm

i have switched OSes and e-mail programs frequently and find it difficult managing my contacts. any recommendations for software to do this, preferably something flexible that can import and export to multiple formats (currently to thunderbird and gmail)?
fenny
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: address book organizer

Postby Husse on Mon May 04, 2009 6:56 am

There are several tutorials on how to use Thunderbird on Gmail, and I think there's even one in the forum somewhere.
That's not what you asked for but I thought I should mention it
One way to handle mail when distrohopping and actually between Windows and Linux is to put the Thunderbird profile on a separate partition (separate home or whatever) and then share it between all the OSes you use
I remember describing it somewhere but I write so much so I don't find it
What you do is simple - you move the Thunderbird profile folder to a separate partition as mentioned and the you use the Thunderbird profile manager to reconnect to the profile - google Thunderbird profile manager and you'll immediately find out how
You have one way to convert Tbird to Gmail here
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Importing_and ... _your_mail
and that page also contains a link to how you move your profile
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: address book organizer

Postby fenny on Mon May 04, 2009 12:13 pm

thanks for the input. i actually do that for firefox.

i ended up just collecting my email and contacts on gmail and using imap to thunderbird. this required a collection of add-ons and converters for the mail and contacts (readpst, morefunctionsforAddressBook, Zindus, and ImportExportTools). kind of frustrating that there isn't a more universal repository for these things.
fenny
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications