VirtualBox 2.2.2 and Felicia

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

VirtualBox 2.2.2 and Felicia

Postby meadcd on Fri May 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Hi all, I'm new to Mint, not so new to linux (but i'm not great with it yet) and I'm trying to get VirtualBox running happily on my Felicia Install.

I got it installed, and I got an XP VM successfully installed, however, I have one real issue: USB Doesn't seem to work. I've dug around on the net, and as I understand it, Felicia is based on Intrepid, so i've done what seems to be necessary (giving vboxusers access to usbfs, by using an fstab entry) and rebooting to reload fstab, but when i start VirtualBox, I can't select the "Enable USB" checkbox.

After digging thru other forums it seems like Intrepid users don't have this problem, and the difference to me seems to be Felicia. Has anyone else had this problem?

the line from my fstab is:
none /proc/bus/usb usbfs devgid=126,devmode=664 0 0

(the groupid for vboxusers is 126, so i assume my syntax is correct)

If i should be asking this in a Virtualbox forums, let me know. Thanks.
meadcd
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: VirtualBox 2.2.2 and Felicia

Postby emorrp1 on Fri May 01, 2009 5:11 pm

Hi, USB support is considered an "enterprise" level feature in VirtualBox, which means it's only available in the closed-source version. To check which version you've got installed, go to the about page, and see if it has a lot of Sun branding, if it does then you have a bug, and we'll see what we can do to fix it. If not, it's the open-source edition and if you really need USB support, then you'll need to install the closed-source version, which is currently in the gloria repos, but not the felicia ones.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby meadcd on Mon May 04, 2009 9:06 am

I downloaded the closed-source edition. Thanks...

EDIT: i first tried installing using apt, and that wouldn't even start the virtual machine i created. i removed that version and downloaded the one i'm currently running. however, the virtual machine that i had created with the previous version got picked up and used by the new one. I'm thinking that that was the problem. i just deleted it and i'll create a new virtual machine, and post again with my results.
meadcd
Level 1
Level 1

Postby meadcd on Mon May 04, 2009 9:16 am

that did it...it was the virtual machine created with the earlier version of vbox that was the problem.
Thanks.
meadcd
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications