Problem with Linux! Can't find root.disk! Please help!

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Problem with Linux! Can't find root.disk! Please help!

Postby NateFlax on Sat May 02, 2009 2:57 pm

I setup a dualboot with my PC so I can start my PC up in ether of these operating systems:
-Windows Vista Basic (32bit)
-Linux Mint 6 (32bit)

However, I can't boot to Linux anymore! I keep getting a bunch of Command/Terminal writing that's all in black and white that says something like this:

ALERT! /host/mint/disks/root.disk does not exist. Dropping to a shell!

I have installed Linux inside Windows instead of doing the full installation. So I start Windows and try to find the missing .disk file. I found it at: C:\mint\disks\root.disk

Is there anything I can do? I still have some files on my Linux desktop that I need! How do I get Linux up and working again?
NateFlax
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Problem with Linux! Can't find root.disk! Please help!

Postby altair4 on Sat May 02, 2009 3:22 pm

Have you tried the following:

Boot into Windows not Mint

Now restart the PC from within Windows - don't shut down the pc and start it again - do a reboot from within windows.

Then Select Mint
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
altair4
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Problem with Linux! Can't find root.disk! Please help!

Postby NateFlax on Sat May 02, 2009 7:27 pm

Yeah, I've already tried doing that. It didn't work.

I'm curious though if it has something to do with my Harddrives and my BIOS.

When I first installed Windows, I only had one Hard Drive, and my BIOS was set to run the Hard Drives as RAID instead of IDE.
So I installed Windows under RAID settings without knowing it. I then installed Mint inside of Windows with the RAID setting still on. I recently added a new Hard Drive to my PC for extra storage. Now, Linux doesn't even work! I've tried switching the RAID to IDE now, but my PC won't even start Windows or Linux. My PC doesn't even reconize that I have any Operating Systems installed. So I switched back to RAID to get Windows working again. However, Linux still doesn't work. Any ideas? Should I keep the RAID setting and remove the newer Hard Drive?
NateFlax
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications