Gnome won't load after GRUB repair (Solved)

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Gnome won't load after GRUB repair (Solved)

Postby redfalcon on Sat May 02, 2009 4:36 pm

Hi.
I just installed the new Windows 7 RC besides my Mint 6 install. Since Windows killed GRUB, I reinstall via this How-To which worked flawlessy - almost. I can boot Mint now, but it wont load the Desktop/Gnome. I get a weird yellow-striped background, with conky running in the background. Networkmanager seems to also have started, since it asked for my password (Internet works). So, how do I fix this? I found the following in daemon.log

Code: Select all
x-session-manager: WARNING: Unable to find provider gnome-wm of required component windowmanager
x-session-manager: WARNING: Application gnome-panel.desktop failed to register before time-out
x-session-manager: WARNING: Application nautilus.desktop failed to register before time-out
x-session-manager: WARNING: Application libcanberra-log-sound.desktop failed to register before time-out
x-session-manager: WARNING:Could not launch application user-dirs-update-gtk.desktop: Unable to start application: Failed to execute child process "xdg-user-dirs-gtk-update2 (No such file or directory)

I search a bit and found out that it might me related to compiz, so I removed it but that didnt do the trick. Last week I added the Mint 7 repos and updated a few mint* components via that, but that always worked flawlessy. I occured just after repairing GRUB.
Last edited by redfalcon on Sun May 03, 2009 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
redfalcon
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Gnome won't load after GRUB repair

Postby redfalcon on Sun May 03, 2009 5:32 am

Okay, didn't want to mess too much around with that, so I reinstalled Mint 6. I now come up to the (GDM?) login screen, but can't do anything. Touchpad (its a Thinkpad R61) and Keyboard are frozen, but I can switch to a console via CTRL+ALT+Fx. Again, I removed Compiz because I read about some bugs with intel graphiccards (a X3100 is inside), but that didnt help. Any ideas, again?

Edit: Forgot to mention that I changed the driver to VESA in xorg.conf, since I got errormessages that DRI couldnt be used. Found the following in Xorg.0.log:

Code: Select all
thinkpad:~ cat /var/log/Xorg.0.log | grep WW
(WW) VESA(0): Bad V_BIOS checksum
(WW) VESA(0): Unknown vendor-specific block f
(WW) VESA(0): Unable to estimate virtual size
(WW) VESA(0): Bad V_BIOS checksum

Edit 2: Fixed it by booting an older kernel (2.6.27-7).
redfalcon
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications