Can't get SMTP server to work in "Evolution 2.24.3"

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Can't get SMTP server to work in "Evolution 2.24.3"

Postby ctalld on Mon May 04, 2009 10:35 am

I'm a newbie to Mint but an "oldie" for Windows and I am at a loss as to what I am doing wrong in the E-mail and personal information manager program called "EVOLUTION Groupware Suite" put out by Novell, Inc.The program installed right fine and all of the components work except for this one problem---I set up the e-mail client and had no problem with the POP server and in fact downloaded all my e-mail messages. ButI cannot send an email. For the SMTP server I put in the usual server name, checked the box for "server requires authentication," checked "no encryption," for authentication type I checked "login" then typed in my user name and checked "remember password." I cannot send, It just doesn't work. So, I called my Internet provider and a technician said that the SMTP server does not require authentication. OK, I changed the preferences and still I cannot send an e-mail. I can compose messages, put them in the "outbox" but the send/receive button remains "grayed-out." Any suggestions that the forum will offer me are going to be deeply appreciated.

Tall Dee
I do feel the love for Mint!
ctalld
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Can't get SMTP server to work in "Evolution 2.24.3"

Postby Fornhamfred on Tue May 05, 2009 2:17 pm

Hi

Welcome to Mint. It may help if you told us which version of Mint you are using. It is usually best to stick to the latest tested version of software ( 2.22.3)in the package manager as there is a better chance of everything working OK. There is probably a reason for using Evolution but I use Thunderbird which works well with all versions of Mint which I have tried.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Postby ctalld on Wed May 06, 2009 2:40 pm

Thanks for the advice. I am using Mint 6 (32 bit version) Felicia (Gnome GUI). I am not one to easily give up, but I followed your suggestion regarding using Thunderbird and indeed this ap has a calendar and "to-do" list, which is all I really want in the way of a Personal Information Manager (PIM). I still will keep Evolution on my Linux box and work at it a bit to see if I can get the SMTP server to work.

Cheers,
Tall Dee
ctalld
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fornhamfred on Thu May 07, 2009 1:12 pm

Have you tried the version of Evolution in Mintinstall?

Glad you got on well with Thunderbird.
Fornhamfred
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Software & Applications