is there an attention getting "BUZZ" for Pidgin?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

is there an attention getting "BUZZ" for Pidgin?

Postby hansencomputers on Tue May 05, 2009 9:36 am

Hi,
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to have an attention getting BUZZ sound in Pidgin, like Yahoo messenger has? In Yahoo Messenger, you send a "buzz" and the recipient get an audible attention getting signal.

I have just transitioned my wife's PC to Mint 6, and all is cool so far, but she really needs this feature.

Thanks as always.

Mike
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: is there an attention getting "BUZZ" for Pidgin?

Postby emorrp1 on Tue May 05, 2009 10:31 am

That's not something that linux users tend to try and do explicitly, as it's in effect giving other people a certain amount of control over your computer, and to be honest it's a bit rude as it implies that your time is more important than theirs, or their other contacts. What you should do is set up "buddy pounces" for what you do want to be notified about, and they can do the same. Supposedly sending the message "/nudge" does the nudging effect on MSN, so you could try that.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby rivenought on Tue May 05, 2009 11:03 am

If I remember correctly, Kopete in KDE 3.5.x has/had this feature. I have not used any KDE versions lately, but you may wish to verify for yourself.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby geodescent on Tue May 05, 2009 11:26 am

One of the primary reasons I started using Gaim/Pidgin...
geodescent
Level 1
Level 1

Postby hansencomputers on Thu May 07, 2009 11:33 pm

The reason for the need is to be able to hear when a "buzz" occurs. I do not want an incoming message sound, as this is annoying to have occur on every incoming message.

I'm not sure how having a "buzz" be audible is giving up any more control than an audible incoming message, already available in Pidgin. I would envision a feature where the "buzz" audible is allowed or denied, or where limits are set to how frequent a "buzz" is played, say maximum 2 per minute, or maybe 2 per hour.

I still need a resolution. This is an example of how some users who were accustomed to a certain feature available with Windoze turn away from Linux, since they feel they can't get what they want. Naturally, I understand that there are plenty of Linux features that you can't get with Windoze XP, but the people being converted don't care, they only know they are giving something up.

I will play with the pounce option, and see if I can work something out. In the meantime, if there are any other thought on this, I'm still interested.

Mike
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

Postby emorrp1 on Fri May 08, 2009 6:21 am

The difference is that you control all notifications of any kind on your own computer. Did you try the "/nudge" command
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby hansencomputers on Sun May 10, 2009 6:57 pm

Actually, it seems "/buzz" is the command. The issue is not my wife sending the "buzz", but receiving it. She wants to be able to hear the "buzz" from a Yahoo IM user (who is running windoze).

Currently, when a windoze user running Yahoo Instant Messenger "buzzes" a Pidgin user on a Linux machine, there is no audible alert, just the visible notification "so & so has buzzed you".

Living without this can be a difficult sell, and where I have problems promoting Linux. For myself, I put using Linux as first priority, and work around any differences with windoze. But for Linux to reach mainstream acceptance, we need to be able to match the experience as close as possible. This minor issue can be enough for some users to switch back.

My wife has been on Linux for about a week now, and is starting to get used to it. She is patiently waiting for me to resolve these sort of problems. The more I resolve, the more will accept Linux as an operating system.

Mike
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

Postby emorrp1 on Mon May 11, 2009 3:20 am

I'm really sorry, I misunderstood completely. I was under the impression you were trying to force someone else's buzz. Of course you should be able to configure the response on your end. Perhaps there's a plugin which will help, something that converts a specific message into an action? If you don't find anything, I would suggest searching the pidgin forums (if they have any) and if you still don't find anything, suggest it as a feature to the devs. Sorry again.
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby hansencomputers on Mon May 11, 2009 3:14 pm

No problem. I will look into it on the Pidgin end too.

Mike
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

Postby fwc on Mon May 11, 2009 8:46 pm

if worse comes to worst there is always WINE
fwc
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications