Strange download speed issue in Firefox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Strange download speed issue in Firefox

Postby enmc6 on Fri May 08, 2009 1:47 pm

Hi All,

I've dabbled with Linux for a while and feel relatively comfortable with the command line, so I wouldn't quite consider myself a total newbie. I'm a recent convert to Linux Mint, and have been more than pleasantly suprised with its ease of use. :D Definitely tops all the other distros I've tried.

The only issue I am having is with download speeds in Firefox. I have no problems with download speeds in any other programs (APT, FrostWire, Opera, etc.), however in Firefox I get MAYBE a maximum sustained download speed of 20/s. I have checked the same servers against each other in Opera and Firefox to rule out slow servers and Opera is consistently much faster, so I assume it's an issue with Firefox.

The strange part is that if I grab onto the title bar of the download window and move the window around (or sometimes even just hold the mouse button down and move the cursor around), the download speed in Firefox increases dramatically to about where it should be for my connection (~265kb/s). However, the instant I let go of the title bar and release the mouse button, the download speeds immediately go back down to 10kb/s-20kb/s. This does not happen in any other program, and as a result I've switched to Opera for my default browser.

I was wondering, 1) if anyone else has noticed the same problem, and 2) if so, why does it happen and how can it be fixed? I am running Linux Mint Felicia on a Toshiba Satellite M305D-S4830. My wireless connection is fine and works very well in all the other applications I use. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated because I really like Firefox. This only affects downloads, as page load speeds are fine.

Thanks!
enmc6
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Strange download speed issue in Firefox

Postby Husse on Sat May 09, 2009 1:01 pm

This sounds really strange
I think you should ask in the Firefox forum
http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php?c=4
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Software & Applications