Virtual box shared folders are no more?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Virtual box shared folders are no more?

Post by rdonnelly »

Hi,

I am using Linux Mint 6. When I am running XP from a VM, I used to be able to click my computer, then from the top of the "My Computer" window, I could select folders, this would bring a list of files and folders to the left that would included Vbox shared folders. Ever since the latest Vbox upgraded they are gone. I have 2 shared folders with full access, yet I have no way to connect. I am using Vbox v 2.2.2 r46594. Does any one know the solution to this?

Thanks Bob
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
*ASUS 970 PRO GAMING/AURA AM3+ AMD 970 + SB 950 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1
*AMD FX-8370 with AMD Wraith cooler Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz (4.3 GHz Turbo)
*G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 SDRAM
*nVIDIA GEFORCE GT 610 2GB
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Re: Virtual box shared folders are no more?

Post by altair4 »

You may have already done this but it's not explicit in your post. Each VBox edition comes in pairs - the VBox application itself and it's corresponding Guest Additions. You upgraded the application. Did you install the corresponding Guest Additions?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
emorrp1

Post by emorrp1 »

I assume you have installed guest additions, if you have already, then it's possible that the update has changed it, so re-install them. I can't say for XP, but shared folders definitely work for gloria guest in gloria host with virtualbox v2.2.0

If that doesn't work then I have no idea, and would possibly suggest re-installing the VM, or at least reverting to an earlier snapshot.
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

I reinstalled the guest additions with no change. There is something very strange. When I select the 32 bit guest additions folder, it has a sub folder for OS2. I have used OS2, every thing in the 32 bit folder is very specific to OS2. BTW, last week Mint 6 would not start properly after a reboot. After the password it gave an error message. something like I was not logged in for 10 seconds and I am running out of disk space, suggested I start in fail safe mode, so I can fix the error. What error it is not even in the info box? I know I am not out of space I have 417GB free, and everything works fine in fail safe mode so far. Maybe it is time to install Gloria and reinstall Vbox?
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

You lost me on that last post. Are you installing OS2 guest additions into the Windows virtual machine?
Please add a [SOLVED] at the end of your original subject header if your question has been answered and solved.
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

No, I was just surprized to see them show up while browsing in XP. I doubt I could install them if I wanted to. But I have been running Mint in failsafe for about a week now.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE
altair4
Level 20
Level 20

Post by altair4 »

Did this problem with Shared Folder happen at the same time that this happened:
BTW, last week Mint 6 would not start properly after a reboot. After the password it gave an error message. something like I was not logged in for 10 seconds and I am running out of disk space, suggested I start in fail safe mode, so I can fix the error.
If you've been running in fail safe mode you have more serious problems than VBox. Or it may be that somehow VBox created these problems. You might try to uninstall VBox and see if Mint returns to normal.
rdonnelly
Level 5
Level 5

Post by rdonnelly »

Yes, Vbox would not bring up shared folders, so I rebooted and that is when the problem with booting occured, like I said, I might just as well start fresh with Gloria. But thanks for all your help.
Using Mint since 2008
*Mint 18.2 KDE

Return to “Software & Applications”