About to destroy my computer

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

About to destroy my computer

Postby Snuffeloffagus on Fri May 15, 2009 10:12 pm

I have been trying for the past few days to get World of Warcraft to install on Felicia using Wine. I have searched every possible wording of my problem without actually finding anything that tells me how to fix it. As of right now I am able to get to the login screen of WoW where it then asks me to update. The window self closes and a smaller window appears that says "Install WoW" and a few other options such as view readme, etc.. I click the install button and it takes me to the EULA where it states, "scroll down to the bottom to activate the accept button." I do so and... nothing. Absolutely nothing happens what so ever. If anyone can even point me in the right direction I would be more than appreciative.

Another "problem" so to speak is that I can't get to the Config.confused file in the WoW directory. I can't even get into the "c:/programfiles/" folder or any other under the Wine directory. I'm just confused as **** and sick and tired of dealing with problem after problem. I'm seriously considering switching back to windows because of this, which would suck because I love Felicia.

Now I'm going to rip all of my hair out and scream at the top of my lungs my frustration.
Snuffeloffagus
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: About to destroy my computer

Postby dlkreations on Fri May 15, 2009 10:30 pm

First of all, getting frustrated at Linux Mint because it won't run a Windows based program is actually quite funny. Secondly, you should look at the appropriate site for issues with Wine and World of Warcraft: http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.p ... &iId=14154

Mint has nothing to do whatsoever with Wine, or any Windows programs. This isn't an issue with Mint, and shouldn't degrade your use or enjoyment of it.

Good luck.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Snuffeloffagus on Fri May 15, 2009 10:49 pm

Mint has nothing to do whatsoever with Wine, or any Windows programs.

Not to be an ass, but no ****? Really? I don't know why I would of ever thought that. /sarcasm

I never said that Mint was causing any of this. I also never said I was getting frustrated at Mint. But thank you for jumping to conclusions. The only reason I said I was considering switching back to windows is because then it would actually work. I merely was asking if anyone knew how to fix the problem, since I know someone else on here must play WoW as well, and possibly have had the same problem and got around it. And as for the link you gave, that was no help at all. Sorry if I'm being rude. I'm trying, really trying to be nice here.
Snuffeloffagus
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dlkreations on Fri May 15, 2009 11:09 pm

Snuffeloffagus wrote:
Not to be an ass...

Well you succeeded.

You come here for help, someone answers, and you go off being very rude. You're princess about pulling your hair out... now that's real mature.

For one thing, you failed to post what version of Mint you're using, and you also failed to post any hardware specs for your system. I was giving you a link to the appropriate website where you should be looking for the answers first and foremost.

If you want to play a Windows game, then stick with Windows.

So go cry somewhere else.
It's perfectly OK to express an opinion, but refrain from foul and stupid language
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Aging Technogeek on Fri May 15, 2009 11:09 pm

You can run Windows in a virtual machine inside Mint or you could set up a dual boot with Windows and Mint so you would have Windows available for gaming and Mint for everything else.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Postby Snuffeloffagus on Fri May 15, 2009 11:27 pm

dlkreations wrote:Well you succeeded.

Thanks. :]

You're princess about pulling your hair out... now that's real mature.

That was a metaphor I was using to describe how frustrated I was about trying to get past this one snag in getting WoW to load and play. Do you even know what a metaphor is, or should I get the definition for you?

For one thing, you failed to post what version of Mint you're using,

your previous post wrote:Mint has nothing to do whatsoever with Wine, or any Windows programs. This isn't an issue with Mint

and you also failed to post any hardware specs for your system.

It's a software problem. I'm sure of it.

If you want to play a Windows game, then stick with Windows.

I just may.

So go cry somewhere else.

I wasn't crying, I was princess. There is a difference. I even apologized for being so rude which I was only doing as an act of venting my anger. But seeing as you're too dim witted to realize this I'll leave you with this. Thanks for trying to help(seriously). Sorry I was rude. But you're still a douche.
Last edited by Snuffeloffagus on Fri May 15, 2009 11:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Snuffeloffagus
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Snuffeloffagus on Fri May 15, 2009 11:28 pm

Aging Technogeek wrote:You can run Windows in a virtual machine inside Mint or you could set up a dual boot with Windows and Mint so you would have Windows available for gaming and Mint for everything else.

I was thinking of setting up another partition to do this on but I don't currently have a windows installation disk and I don't think I can download it from their site.
Snuffeloffagus
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dlkreations on Sat May 16, 2009 12:32 am

As anyone who comes here asking for assistance, it is always customary to post what version of Mint you're using; after all Mint is based on Ubuntu (as I'm sure you know). Did you try disabling Compiz since you think it is a software related problem? Do you have the appropriate video card drivers? Do you have the most recent version of Wine? If not, then add the repositories for it to your sources.list file and update it. On that link I sent you, did you look to see which version of Wine people were using to play the game? These are all factors you should take into consideration.

That was a metaphor I was using to describe how frustrated I was about trying to get past this one snag in getting WoW to load and play. Do you even know what a metaphor is, or should I get the definition for you?

Yes I know what a metaphor is, but please enlighten me to what you think it is. But I understand frustration, it comes with the territory of trying something new.

But seeing as you're too dim witted to realize this I'll leave you with this. Thanks for trying to help(seriously). Sorry I was rude. But you're still a douche.

I'm glad you apologized, but you were still rude, and it had no place here. As for the douche comment, I'll take that as a compliment considering where a douche goes. But that still goes to show your maturity level. With that being said, you have no idea who I am, so who are you to place judgement on me or anyone here? None whatsoever.

What gets me is how blatant and bold people can be when their sitting safely behind their keyboard at home who wouldn't have the guts to say things like this to someone face to face.
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fred on Sat May 16, 2009 1:34 am

Snuffeloffagus,

I would suggest you try un-installing wine and installing CrossOver. It is the commercial version of Wine and is certified to run WOW. You will probably have better luck with it.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/

On another note, your posts started out a little too aggressive for me, and got worse. You need to remember that we are all users/helpers/volunteers. We have no obligation to help anybody. Everyone responding is doing so only for the pleasure of helping you. You should probably try to do your part to make it an enjoyable experience, if you want help.

Another issue is your language. It is bordering on the profane. We have a number of children that monitor and use this forum. Others will tell you that I have a low tolerance for harassing and profane language. They would be correct.

Please try to watch your language and express yourself in a way that would be appropriate for an 8 year old to read.

Thanks.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Tantalus on Sat May 16, 2009 4:03 pm

WoW will work and install OK under wine in Mint

The problem you describe with not being able to accept the agreement seems to be down to Blizzard using XML in the window that the standard wine browser doesnt know how to handle.

Solution : http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

Install IE or firefox and your accept button will become clickable.

Also check out the Wine pages on WoWwiki

And if you get stuck try searching the ubuntu forums for advice.

Definitely no need to pay for CrossOver ,( £26 confused ? :O )

Tant
Tantalus
Level 1
Level 1

Postby dlkreations on Sat May 16, 2009 7:53 pm

Tantalus wrote:WoW will work and install OK under wine in Mint

The problem you describe with not being able to accept the agreement seems to be down to Blizzard using XML in the window that the standard wine browser doesnt know how to handle.

Solution : http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks

Install IE or firefox and your accept button will become clickable.

Also check out the Wine pages on WoWwiki

And if you get stuck try searching the ubuntu forums for advice.

Definitely no need to pay for CrossOver ,( £26 confused ? :O )

Tant

Great reply! I am glad someone was able to help. I've looked at WoW a couple times and thought it would be interesting, but I just don't have the time to play games anymore, especially with a wife and 6 kids to take care of.

Snuffeloffagus, I hope this helps you, and sorry for egging you on last night. Good luck.
- Husse
dlkreations
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fred on Sun May 17, 2009 7:55 am

Tantalus,

You are of course correct. You can make WoW work in wine. However, the user has already spent several hours trying to do just that. If he can't, for whatever reason solve the problem, he has the option to pay someone else to do the heavy lifting for him. That is what CodeWeavers has done. This is their target demographic.

As is true with many other things, you research and take the time and make the effort to learn to do something yourself or you pay someone else to do it for you. :-)

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Lantesh on Fri May 22, 2009 12:47 am

Dual boot for games. It's the easiest solution, and your game will run better in it's native environment anyway.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Teufelhunden on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:00 pm

Snuffy,

If you've not already figured it out, and if memory serves, this is a WINE issue and is solved with the latest version which you can get by going to winehq.org.

To install WoW, I found it easier to copy the Original and TBC CD's to a folder in my home directory. After those were installed, I installed WoTLK via DVD. The first time I tried to install Wrath, I got the same problem: scroll through EULA and get no "accept" button. The latest version of WINE fixes this (or it did for me, YMMV).

Good luck.
Teufelhunden
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications