Blinking Application in Mint 6 Fluxbox

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Husse

Re: Blinking Application in Mint 6 Fluxbox

Post by Husse »

Unless you relay email to Windows clients there is no need for antivirus in Linux
I don't see Ubuntu, only Debian under System Requirements for this app
See here
http://www.bitdefender.com/PRODUCT-80-e ... nices.html
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Bobo-the-Cat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bobo-the-Cat »

I also am not too happy about the lack of provision for a decent anti-virus program in Linux Mint. In other posts I have described how I have tried and failed to get ClamAV working properly on Linux Mint as it seems impossible to get all of its components versions matched (despite the fact that these are supplied by Mint Update) - so it refuses to upload its latest database.

Recently in Linux Format magazine in the UK (LXF119 June 2009), BitDefender got a 10/10 rating. I could not find it in package manager, so I searched on this forum and found your post. So it seems that this won't work either !

Well I DO move mail between Windows and Linux and yes I have had problems with some "dodgy" emails crashing Linux. So would it be too much to ask the Linux Mint team to make the provision of one good Anti-Virus program that is guaranteed to work and which can be installed via the package manager. May I suggest that BitDefender should be the best here as it has recently been so highly rated?
Husse

Post by Husse »

There is Clamav which is intended for mail servers
I have used Avast - but it's not in the repos and only on demand scanning
My favorite antivirus in Windows (yes there are still some Windows boxes here :)) is Avira and it's available for *nix
To get on access scanning it takes a bit of work for all antivirus scanners - the kernel integration :)
The reason we have not done much about anti virus is that Mint is a desktop operating system, not a server system
But with a larger user base perhaps there is a growing (partial) server use
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Norman, F-Secure and Panda has clients for Linux, they're commercial, but good.
And then there's always the good old... :roll:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Bobo-the-Cat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bobo-the-Cat »

Zwopper,

Thanks for your helpful reply. Of course I know that I can pay money for anything. And of course Kaspersky is good etc. But one reason I moved to Linux was to save costs of the expensive subscriptions to software which typically have to be endured in a Windows environment. The point I was trying to make was that BitDefender is free and has got very good reviews, so it seemed reasonable to suggest that it (something similar) be included in the next Mint distro.

Your inference that I might find it hard to "google" for "antivirus + linux" is hardly necessary or even relevant. :o
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Post by Zwopper »

Bobo-the-Cat wrote:Zwopper,

Thanks for your helpful reply. Of course I know that I can pay money for anything. And of course Kaspersky is good etc. But one reason I moved to Linux was to save costs of the expensive subscriptions to software which typically have to be endured in a Windows environment. The point I was trying to make was that BitDefender is free and has got very good reviews, so it seemed reasonable to suggest that it (something similar) be included in the next Mint distro.

Your inference that I might find it hard to "google" for "antivirus + linux" is hardly necessary or even relevant. :o
Gee, didn't you see the little smiley?! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
My artwork at deviantART | My Band - Electric Alchemea
CREA DIEM!

Lenovo U330P | i5 | 16GB | 128GB - SSD | Elemantary OS 0.4
Bobo-the-Cat
Level 3
Level 3

Post by Bobo-the-Cat »

OK. OK. :) :) :)
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10