Replying to Messages in Evolution - Selected Text

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
curt_grymala

Replying to Messages in Evolution - Selected Text

Post by curt_grymala »

First of all, I want to say that I completely understand why this could be a useful feature, but it ends up just irritating me most of the time.

When you reply to a message with Evolution, if you have any text selected in the original message, Evolution uses that as the quoted text, rather than using the whole message. In other words, let's say I reply to a message that looks like this:
This is a test
Let's say I had the word "is" selected in the original message. When I go to reply (with Evolution set to include original text inline with replies), the message looks like this:
---- Original Message ----
is
when it should look like:
---- Originial Message ----
This is a test
Does anyone know if there's any way to turn off/disable that feature? It's gotten me in trouble with my supervisor once or twice when I've replied to an e-mail message and not realized that Evolution did that.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
emorrp1

Re: Replying to Messages in Evolution - Selected Text

Post by emorrp1 »

I don't see any configuration for that sort of thing, I guess you just have to be more careful not to select anything next time.
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

I've searched also and returned unsuccessfully. Maybe get in the habit of just clicking the text in your emails once before sending them or something :roll:
Fred

Post by Fred »

Kaye,

I know this is a little, (way), off topic, but how did you do this year in school? Are you on track for a summa cum laude graduation? :-)

I have high expectations for you. If it gives you any motivation, My middle daughter graduated from Wake Forest summa cum laude and from grad school at George Washington University summa cum laude. Surely you aren't going to let a girl, the daughter of an old dumb country boy, out do you, are you? :-)

Fred
Kaye

Post by Kaye »

Hello again Fred :lol:

I did pretty well. I graduated high school with a 5.0 so anything less than perfect I can't call great. I'm a Computer Science major (going for the B.S.) with a math minor and a pre-med concentration. This means I have more required classes than slots, ergo I need to overload two semesters, and I decided to do that at the beginning rather than at the end. So as a freshman I took one extra class each semester and ended the year with a 3.8, giving me a class rank of 164/2265, which isn't half bad in my opinion. I actually should've had a 3.91 because I got an A test average in Bio, but because I missed two lectures (out of over 70 we had during the semester) my professor dropped my grade an entire letter grade (which equates to me getting a 3.0 in a 4 credit class rather than a 4.0). That last part could possibly just be me venting :P.

My biggest problem right now is not knowing what I want to do. I'm premed because being a doctor has always been alluring to me, but I also love computer science. I know I have years to figure it out (which everyone always reminds me of), but it still bothers me not to have a concrete plan for what I'm going to be doing.

In conclusion, your daughter is probably smarter than me. And you don't come off as a dumb country boy :lol:
Fred

Post by Fred »

Kaye wrote:
My biggest problem right now is not knowing what I want to do.
Right now that isn't a problem. As others have said you have plenty of time. Just keep your options open. The best advice I could give you on that score is to look at the life style you would be obliged to have after you go to work in your chosen profession. School will end, believe it or not, and you will have to practice your chosen profession for many years to come. That is what you need to look at. What your life would be like, as an MD, a computer scientist, or whatever. Example: A lazy man, or one that values/needs to spend lots of time with his family does not need to go into medicine. Doctors must spend lots of hours on an ongoing basis practicing and keeping up. 60 to 80 hour weeks are the norm. There are no 40 hr. a week doctors. :-) Doctors, good doctors, work very hard and very long hours and assume much responsibility.

Whatever you ultimately decide to do, do it well, or don't do it at all. :-)

Fred

Return to “Software & Applications”