Some issues with Skype

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Some issues with Skype

Postby petegnj on Thu May 28, 2009 8:20 am

I have Gloria running on my XPS M1330 and it is very fast. One issue I have noticed on this computer is that it's a pain in the ass to get Skype working correctly. The video works but the audio needs to be fooled with every time I launch. I change "default" to pulse for both audio in and out and I resolve the error but I can't hear my voice on the test call playback. Also, and I see this with the wireless on my IBM T30 as well, why does the wireless signal strength indicator always project a much lower signal than what I see in the same location using Vista? In vista I NEVER see anything but all bars and "excellent" strength but in Mint standing a few feet from the wireless router I get 75%. What gives?

Anyone using Mint on the M1330 please chime in on the Skype issue if you have that worked out.

Thanks.
petegnj
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Some issues with Skype

Postby Husse on Sun May 31, 2009 2:31 pm

You have to tell us more facts.
We also need to know a bit about all your hardware.
Run " lspci " in a terminal and post here (to avoid misunderstanding - the first character is a minor L and you copy by marking with the mouse and then right click)
Some wifi and possibly built in sound can be connected to USB even if they are internal - if you suspect you have one of these run " lsusb " in a terminal.
Also tell us if this is using mint4win or not, quite important
This is a standard answer so it may not be fully applicable to your situation
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Some issues with Skype

Postby kei84 on Sun May 31, 2009 2:51 pm

About skype, try installing in synaptic skype-static or skype-static-oss instead of the regular skype variant.

Skype-static works just fine in Gloria here in my notebook.
kei84
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Software & Applications