Cleaning tool - Bleachbit

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Cleaning tool - Bleachbit

Post by midas »

Last year there was an interesting topic about a new to develope Mint-tool for cleaning-up old files in the home-partition. The Mint-tool never made it but there seems to exist interesting alternetives in the Ubuntu-repos. One of them is a package called 'BleachBit'. I first saw the package when I installed the Gnome-edition of PCLOS 2009.1. Later on, when installing Ubuntu 9.04 I found it back in the repos and have it installed.

When installed you find two icons in the menu: 'open Bleachbit as user' and a second one 'open Bleachbit as root'. The second icon I removed right away out of the menu. The reason is that using the package as normal user...no system-file will ever be effected. No real damage will ever occur.

So, when using as a normal user it cleans only the files in the home-partition. Very interesting also that it cleans all of the obsolete language-files you're not using. Selecting a language means it won't be removed from the computer. However, be careful! Keep always english (en) selected and your own native language ofcourse. Some packages are not fully translated (like BleachBit) into every language.

Till so far I used BleachBit as a normal user and haven't experienced any problems at all.

Are there any other experiences with cleaning-tools???
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint 17.3 Cinnamon (64 bits)
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Cleaning tool - Bleachbit

Post by midas »

Oh, by the way...

Please click at http://www.howtoforge.com

At the left side (navigationbar) you'll find 'Ubuntu'...there you'll find a good tutorial how to install and use BleachBit. Also a great tutorial how to install Mint Gloria with all the bells and whistles.

Really great for people who are just migrating from MS or Mac and every newbie in general!!
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Interesting. I just installed it to try it out.
midas
Level 4
Level 4

Post by midas »

Yes Lantesh, as long as you stay clear from the 'open BleachBit as root' icon...

Keep us informed!
Lantesh

Post by Lantesh »

Oh don't worry. I would never blindly clean anything as root.

Return to “Software & Applications”