gconf-editor

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
frisco

gconf-editor

Post by frisco »

This is a mundane question and I am sorry I even need to post it, it's just that I cannot find anything about it in these forums.

In configuring any distro I always set the "moving windows" settting so that only the "frame" of the window moves while it is being moved rather than the whole window and its contents.

I cannot find the setting for that in any of the Mint tools or preferences (I hope I am not missing it). There are window settings, but none that address this setting, so I would like to use the old tried and true gconf-editor. I cannot get gconf-editor to start completely; it comes up but is not populated with any of the configuration data; just an empty gconf-editor window (which is ironic).

I tried re-installing it from Synaptic, but got long error messages which said things like, "..can't complete task, perhaps the isp connection is lost." ?? The isp connection is fine and I have been using Synaptic to install packages all along.

Any thoughts?

- Frisco -
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
frisco

Re: gconf-editor

Post by frisco »

Hmm.. no replies.

I'm hoping it is ok to post about this in here; if not please just post back and tell me and I'll try one of the generic linux forums.

Here is the error message when trying to start gconf-editor:

"# gconf-editor
GConf Error: Failed to contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a system crash. See http://projects.gnome.org/gconf/ for information. (Details - 1: Failed to get connection to session: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.)"

I apologize if I have brought up a subject here that belongs someplace else or that the Mint developers don't want to address; I am honestly only trying to configure my Mint 7.
Lantesh

Re: gconf-editor

Post by Lantesh »

There is no need to apologize. You have a valid question. I'd imagine you have not received a reply yet because the right person with the answer has not seen your post yet. I unfortunately do not have an answer for you. Good luck in your search.

Return to “Software & Applications”