VLC in Gloria has two windows?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

VLC in Gloria has two windows?

Postby trident on Sun May 31, 2009 6:17 am

I've always preferred VLC to Totem and Mplayer, and am more used to it from when I used it in Windows, so one of the first things I did when I got Mint 7 working was to install it from the featured apps in MintInstall. However, it's behaving differently to on other distributions. When I load a video (.avi and .mpg), instead of having the video and controls in one window, I get a separate "XVideo Output" window with the video in, and the normal window only has the controls. So I end up with an MPlayer-style 2-window setup which I don't much like. Is this normal for the version in Gloria's MintInstall, or am I doing something wrong? I'm using fglrx (blech) and Compiz, although disabling desktop effects doesn't seem to make any difference.
trident
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: VLC in Gloria has two windows?

Postby fenny on Sun May 31, 2009 7:33 am

i have the same issue since updating to jaunty. there seems to be a bug with the embedded video window.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... bug/314038
fenny
Level 1
Level 1

Postby proxima_centauri on Sun May 31, 2009 8:47 am

It's been a bug in VLC for a while now. In the meantime i switched to SMplayer, which satisfies my movie playing needs - probably wont go back to VLC.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Lantesh on Sun May 31, 2009 1:55 pm

I'll 2nd SMPlayer. The interface is much nicer, and easy to use. The only downside to SMPlayer is no support for DVD menus.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby trident on Sun May 31, 2009 2:01 pm

I tried it, and it looks nice, but crashes the computer in full screen mode. Then again, Xine, VLC and Totem all seem to do that too (and MPlayer/GNOME Mplayer won't even go full-screen properly) so I suspect another fglrx issue...
trident
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kei84 on Sun May 31, 2009 2:54 pm

About this VLC bug, it looks like it will only be fixed with the release of 1.0 version.
kei84
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Software & Applications