Evolution--modify path to local folders

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
kwatson512

Evolution--modify path to local folders

Post by kwatson512 »

I have created an encrypted volume within my /home directory, and want to automatically store all my e-mail there. I have successfully moved all my files, but don't want my e-mails and their attachments stored in the clear text part of that partition.

I have been successful with Thunderbird in the past, moving the profile and changing the profiles.ini file to point to it. However, I need to use Evolution (to connect to a corporate Exchange server), and can't find a way to do something similar for those needs.

Any pointers?

Linux Mint 7 Gloria, Lenovo X61S laptop, 4GB RAM, 150GB HDD, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU @ 1.80GHz
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: Evolution--modify path to local folders

Post by Husse »

I've been looking for a way to move the profile of Evolution, but all I find is how to move the profile of Thunderbird
I don't use Evolution - it may have something like the TB profile manager...
kwatson512

Re: Evolution--modify path to local folders

Post by kwatson512 »

Husse, thanks for looking. Meanwhile, I've set up Outlook within VirtualBox. Getting there, one step at a time.
kwatson512

[SOLVED] Re: Evolution--modify path to local folders

Post by kwatson512 »

I discovered a much simpler solution. In the Ubuntu forums I found that ecryptfs-utils is included in Jaunty (and therefore Gloria), and so I backed up my home directory, encrypted it, and then restored my data. Now all my data (.evolution, .mozilla-thunderbird, .VirtualBox, etc.) is its customary place, and encrypted. My goal was to protect the data when the computer is turned off, so this works for me!

Here's how:

1. Back up your home directory (use MintBackup--make sure you click on all the hidden folders that have important data--you'll find them listed in the Hidden Paths tab in MintBackup.
2. Create a new user with an encrypted home folder:

Code: Select all

sudo adduser --encrypt-home USERNAME
3. Log in as the new user.
4. Restore data from your backup to the new home directory.
:)

Return to “Software & Applications”