No label for NTFS partition

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

No label for NTFS partition

Postby Euth on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:12 am

Hello world )

I was setting up automount for my partitions in fstab. The NTFS partition (sda5) is a trouble one. When I was addressing it as UUID=151F1964478A51D9 (blkid.tab) there was an error telling that such partition where not found. If address it as /dev/sda5 it works but it's label - looks like there is no label assigned to it in system (however partition has it's label - "NTFS"). It makes some troubles (GNOME commander does not add such partition to drive list for example, have to access it through mount point). Note that other ntfs partitions from separate drive attached by IDE-usb converter is mounting fine with labels.

Perhaps somebody knows what to do?
My fstab rec: /dev/sda5 /media/wntfs1 ntfs ro,uid=1000,defaults 0 0
Euth
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: No label for NTFS partition

Postby emorrp1 on Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:31 am

this command should show you what ways you can use for the partition:
Code: Select all
ls -l /dev/disk/*/* | grep sda5

You can probably ignore the by-id lines, but if there's an entry under by-label, you can use that as a label, similarly the uuid is the link under by-uuid
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby Fred on Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:50 am

Euth,

If you want to use LABEL instead of UUID or legacy, It shouldn't be a problem. Using gparted, found in the menu, assign a label of your choice to the partition. Not the drive, but the partition. The label should be no more than 15 letters/numbers. Do not use spaces or other characters or punctuation marks in the label.

Please refer to the thread below for a more appropriate mounting line for fstab.

viewtopic.php?f=42&t=22093

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Euth on Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:46 pm

emorrp1,

Thanks for response. But except two "by-id" there are only "by-path" line. No by-label or by-uuid.

Fred,

I'm not sure I've understood you correctly. If you mean is there something under LABEL tab in gparted against sda5 - then yes. "NTFS" label as I've said before. If you mean something else please describe it more exact.

Perhaps I shall give you some screens instead of relying on my terrible English :D

GParted.png
My file system. As you can see there is an assigned label for sda5
GParted.png (87.19 KiB) Viewed 486 times

nautilus.png
But in nautilus this drive has no label. Also note: if not mount this partition by terminal or fstab, it will not be among partitions that can be mounted by nautilus.
nautilus.png (92.13 KiB) Viewed 486 times

bad_side2.png
And it makes difficulties like this one - partition not available through drive list in GNOME commander. I suppose GC and Nautilus both gets labels from only one system source.
bad_side2.png (130.79 KiB) Viewed 486 times
Euth
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:47 pm

Euth,

Try the line below as your fstab line and see if it doesn't solve your problem.

LABEL=NTFS /media/wntfs1 ntfs defaults,umask=007,gid=46 0 0

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Euth on Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:09 pm

Fred,

I did it. But as I suspected no volume was mounted and with mount -a I've got this error: ntfs-3g: Failed to access volume '/dev/disk/by-label/NTFS': No such file or directory
There really was no such file :) so I've created symbolic link NTFS in that folder pointing /dev/sda5. But after reboot I had not found neither mounted ntfs partition nor link I had created. So I think there is a script somewhere which purges this folders and creating links in them each time by its own.

btw, is my English really so bad so no one understands what a hell I'm talking about? :mrgreen:
Euth
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications