DVD Decrypter ( SOLVED )

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

DVD Decrypter ( SOLVED )

Postby bicky on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:01 am

Hi - anyone know of a DVD Decrypter for use on Mint - historically I used DVD Fab Decrypt on my Windows installation
Last edited by bicky on Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: DVD Decrypter

Postby Carl on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:40 am

bicky wrote:Hi - anyone know of a DVD Decrypter for use on Mint - historically I used DVD Fab Decrypt on my Windows installation

Depending on what you want to do either rip a complete DVD to say an ISO file or just to folders or if you wanted to actually convert the dvd on the fly to maybe xvid or x.264?

for just ripping entire DVD's I use DVD Shrink in wine (Gasp!) but there are plenty of similar native linux programs just open up "Software Manager" under "System" in the Mint Menu

for ripping DVD's to single AVI files or MKV you cant get much better then HandBrake

(Ubuntu 8.10 = Mint 6, Ubuntu 9.04 = Mint 7)
[AMD Sempron 145 2.8GHz + Unlocked 2nd Core|ATI Radeon™ HD3000 Graphics|4GB DDR3|Biostar A780L3L]
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Postby richyrich on Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:19 am

If you are running the KDE version, K9Copy works great. ISO, mpeg4, shrinking, etc. All the codecs!
I've used it with NO errors, and output is flawless.

regards, Richard
richyrich
Level 13
Level 13

Postby bicky on Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:04 pm

I want to copy the entire DVD removing all encryptions this is what DVD fab Decrypter does in Windows. I should stress that this is NOT FOR ANY ILLEGAL purpose - just for family use.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Postby bicky on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:15 pm

richyrich wrote:If you are running the KDE version, K9Copy works great. ISO, mpeg4, shrinking, etc. All the codecs!
I've used it with NO errors, and output is flawless.

regards, Richard

Brilliant - Thanks for this.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Re: DVD Decrypter ( SOLVES )

Postby Lantesh on Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:16 am

Any native Linux app is going to rely on libdvdcss2 to do the decryption. Unfortunately this is not as good as AnyDVD in Windows. The best solution is still AnyDVD in Windows running in the backround, along with DVD Shrink to do the actual ripping.
Lantesh
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Carl on Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:21 am

Lantesh wrote:Any native Linux app is going to rely on libdvdcss2 to do the decryption. Unfortunately this is not as good as AnyDVD in Windows. The best solution is still AnyDVD in Windows running in the backround, along with DVD Shrink to do the actual ripping.

we really need some one skilled in that area to do something like anydvd for linux even if it's a premium paid for app many people would jump ship just for it :D I can imagine it now blueray dvd support for linux
[AMD Sempron 145 2.8GHz + Unlocked 2nd Core|ATI Radeon™ HD3000 Graphics|4GB DDR3|Biostar A780L3L]
Carl
Level 5
Level 5

Postby bicky on Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:34 am

Carl wrote:
Lantesh wrote:Any native Linux app is going to rely on libdvdcss2 to do the decryption. Unfortunately this is not as good as AnyDVD in Windows. The best solution is still AnyDVD in Windows running in the backround, along with DVD Shrink to do the actual ripping.

we really need some one skilled in that area to do something like anydvd for linux even if it's a premium paid for app many people would jump ship just for it :D I can imagine it now blueray dvd support for linux

Yep - it would be brilliant. The ONLY reason that I use Windows now is for DVD decryption, Skype, ( On linux it is rubbish ), and my printers which are Lexmark.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications