Windows / Mint Dual Boot. UBUNTU from Terminal ?? ( SOLVED

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Windows / Mint Dual Boot. UBUNTU from Terminal ?? ( SOLVED

Postby bicky on Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:11 am

I have Windows / Mint on Dual boot, but also have a spare empty partition where Ubuntu used to be. Is there any way that I can reinstall UBUNTU from the terminal ??.
As an overall comment I would just like to say that I think the Linux Mint Gloria is " the best thing ever ". I have had Windows, Ubuntu and now Gloria which I cannot fault. Unfortunately I still need Windows for Skype and my networked Lexmark printers. But for the rest NO.
Last edited by bicky on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Windows / Mint Dual Boot. UBUNTU from Terminal ??

Postby Aging Technogeek on Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:09 pm

Why use the terminal? If you have the Ubuntu live CD just boot it up and run the installer. Select manual partitioning and put Ubuntu into whatever free space you have on your drive. Grub will set up the three way boot automatically.

Registered Linux User 483387
Aging Technogeek
Level 13
Level 13

Re: Windows / Mint Dual Boot. UBUNTU from Terminal ??

Postby bicky on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:18 pm

Aging Technogeek wrote:Why use the terminal? If you have the Ubuntu live CD just boot it up and run the installer. Select manual partitioning and put Ubuntu into whatever free space you have on your drive. Grub will set up the three way boot automatically.

Thanks for this - All done and working - Why didn't I think of this ?
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Re: Windows / Mint Dual Boot. UBUNTU from Terminal ?? ( SOLVED

Postby linus on Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:30 pm

bicky wrote:I have Windows / Mint on Dual boot, but also have a spare empty partition where Ubuntu used to be. Is there any way that I can reinstall UBUNTU from the terminal ??.
As an overall comment I would just like to say that I think the Linux Mint Gloria is " the best thing ever ". I have had Windows, Ubuntu and now Gloria which I cannot fault. Unfortunately I still need Windows for Skype and my networked Lexmark printers. But for the rest NO.

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with sudo apt-get install skype aka http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/?
linus
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bicky on Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:16 pm

linus wrote:
bicky wrote:I have Windows / Mint on Dual boot, but also have a spare empty partition where Ubuntu used to be. Is there any way that I can reinstall UBUNTU from the terminal ??.

Just out of curiosity, what's wrong with sudo apt-get install skype aka http://www.skype.com/download/skype/linux/?

My problem with Skype on Linux is that I cannot send chat messages, I cannot send SMS messages, and to configure the sound can be a nightmare. I use Skype on Windows as my telephonic backup for my business and Chat, conference ansd SMS are essential tools. The same goes for my printing, my office is fully equipped with Lexmark X5470 multi purpose networked printers. These will not work on Linux distros.
bicky
Level 4
Level 4

Postby linus on Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:13 am

bicky wrote:
linus wrote:

My problem with Skype on Linux is that I cannot send chat messages, I cannot send SMS messages, and to configure the sound can be a nightmare. I use Skype on Windows as my telephonic backup for my business and Chat, conference ansd SMS are essential tools. The same goes for my printing, my office is fully equipped with Lexmark X5470 multi purpose networked printers. These will not work on Linux distros.

I understand you completely then. I haven't been using skype on *nix much, but just from the looks of the GUI it seems less capable then the windows counterpart (though nicer :) )
linus
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications