Compiz issues and maybe a bug?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Compiz issues and maybe a bug?

Postby RobJob on Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:20 am

Decided to move this from newbie Q's to here as it seemed a little more in depth. --Ok guys and gals I have been running Linux for only about 6 months, and I'm fairly proficient at doing things graphically but dropping to terminal is not my favourite. Anyway, Ever since my upgrade to LM7 I've had some Compiz(?) problems. First, by default the new MintMenu is accessed by <super><ctrl>, which is the same as the water effect in Compiz. Even after deactivating the MM command I still can't use water effect with my mouse (though I can use rain, and wiper effects). I've tried changing the key commands and enabling/disabling the function to no avail. Secondly, in Expo I'm having some strange glitches. I have 4 desktops side by side as I use a cube, and when I try to drag a widow from 4 (far right) to 1 (far left) I cannot grab that window from desktop 1. I can do it the other way (moving from desktop 1 to 4 I can grab and drag the window on desk 4) just fine. Now if I move a window from 1 directly left to 4 and drag it left back to desktop 1 the window will disappear underneath my desktop wallpaper. Never had these problems with LM6 that I can remember and I use expo fairly frequently. Currently running exact same themes and settings that I ran in Felicia as far as I can remember, and the problems are completely independent of any settings changes made to expo in compiz. Thanks for reading, and I can provide any information that you guys might need. Oh and if there is more appropriate place for this post please let me know.
Attachments
CantGrab.jpg
Moved window from desk 4 to 1. Cannot grab window on desktop 1.
CantGrab.jpg (100.28 KiB) Viewed 347 times
Under.jpg
Staring on desktop 1 left to desk 4 and continuing left...
Under.jpg (99.7 KiB) Viewed 347 times
RobJob
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Compiz issues and maybe a bug?

Postby kei84 on Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:12 am

Which 3D graphic driver are you using? Opensource or the one from Envy? Try switching between them and see if anything changes.
kei84
Level 3
Level 3

Postby RobJob on Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:49 pm

Using NVid, because that is the only thing listed in my hardware drivers panel [Nvidian accelerated graphics drive -version 180]. Its the same driver I used in Felicia though and had no probs... What would cause Gloria to be different?
RobJob
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kei84 on Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:31 pm

Did you make a fresh install or upgraded directly from Felicia?

Some people are having trouble with graphic drivers when upgrading directly.
kei84
Level 3
Level 3

Postby RobJob on Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:43 pm

Completely fresh install (I couldn't wait :). I know it's not really a major problem, but I really liked the finish of Felicia which Gloria seems to lack. Things like this don't really hinder function but they're problems you won't see in Windows or Mac which is a real minus when I try and evangelise Linux. I'd like to see it as flawless as possible.
RobJob
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications