Thunderbird won't play noification sound.

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Thunderbird won't play noification sound.

Postby optimize me on Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:20 am

I have a sound file I've used for a long time that TBird plays when I get a new email. Since I installed Gloria last week, TBird doesn't play the sound any more - all I get is a VERY VERY LOUD burst of static.

The sound file plays normally if I double-click it, or right-click>open with.. some media player.

Any ideas?
AMD Phenom II X6 1045T 2.8GHz 8GB DDR3 RAM ATI Radeon HD6970
optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Thunderbird won't play noification sound.

Postby emorrp1 on Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:36 am

Sounds like it could be a bug in TBird, does the same thing happen in Jaunty/VM?
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby optimize me on Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:16 am

emorrp1 wrote:Sounds like it could be a bug in TBird, does the same thing happen in Jaunty/VM?

Dunno - my last Ubu install was Hardy, and there it worked fine.

In my Googling, I've seen that people are reporting the same problem across Linux, Windows, and Apple computers going as far back as 2005. Some suggest that changing the bitrate of the sound file is a fix, but I tried that and it didn't work. Not only that, but why would a sound file with a particular bit rate work in one TBird version and not another? And - and I could be wrong on this - but I'm pretty sure that this is the same version (2.0.0.21) that I was using in Hardy anyway.

I suppose I could grab Jaunty and dump it into a vm real quick to see if it has the same problem, in the interests of verifying where the problem lies.
optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Postby emorrp1 on Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:27 am

Yes, that's the same version in Hardy. Have you tried it with a different notification sound file? VM-ing would tell us it's not something mint has accidentally done. While you're in a VM, you may as well try out thunderbird 3 to see if it has the same problem: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1027861
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby optimize me on Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:51 am

emorrp1 wrote:Yes, that's the same version in Hardy. Have you tried it with a different notification sound file? VM-ing would tell us it's not something mint has accidentally done. While you're in a VM, you may as well try out thunderbird 3 to see if it has the same problem: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1027861

Yeah, I've got about a half-dozen or so sound files I tried. Some of them cause the loud burst of static, while other just result in some strange "click" sound that seems to me like it's popping my speaker.

I'll give these trials a go and post back a little later with my findings.
optimize me
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Software & Applications