Keyboard Repeat Issue

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Keyboard Repeat Issue

Postby Beemer on Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:18 pm

I'm experiencing an issue with how something in Mint 7 is handling key repeats (i.e. when a key is held down). I've confirmed the following issue across three different keyboards and systems and on Mint 7 and Mint 7 64-bit RC.

It appears that when a key is held down, rather than signaling they key is just down, instead multiple key presses are emulated. In general day to day use, you can't really see the issue (like in e-mail or in a word processor) but in a game like World Of Warcraft it's readily apparent as it produces a 'stuttering' effect during character movement. For example, using the 'w' or 'up arrow' keys to move a character forward normal produces a walking/running animation. Instead, now, it produces only the beginning of the animation, over and over, as if I was just hitting the key repeatedly rather than holding it down.

I'm not sure if this is a Mint issue, comes from upstream (Ubuntu, Debian), X.Org or something else. Anyone have any ideas on what's causing this and/or how to fix? I really don't want to downgrade our machines back to Mint 6 as 7 looks sooooo good and otherwise works great.

Thanks,
Beemer
Beemer
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Keyboard Repeat Issue

Postby Beemer on Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:56 pm

Ok - finally found something describing the exact issue: http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.ph ... tid=540676

This isn't a Mint issue, but how do we go about fixing this? I have seen some suggestions on turning the key repeat off in the Control Center/Keyboard settings and also some scripts that disable certain repeat keys (like WASD/Arrow keys). Or would someone be able to write up a layman's How-To apply the patch suggested in the url?

Thanks,

Beemer
Beemer
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Software & Applications