X window server couldnt be started, or something like that

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JIMIneitor

X window server couldnt be started, or something like that

Post by JIMIneitor »

Hiya, well, heres the deal

i wanted to double boot linux mint 7, and kubuntu 9.04, and i installed kubuntu, everything fine, normal, grub was normal, boot time was even faster than usual, and then, SUDDENLY, a failsafe-like login screen, and i say failsafe-like because it wasnt so good-looking as kde running in a normal session

but now, i reinstalled the system twice (resulting 3 installs) and always got the same error, and normally i wouldnt be worried, but the real problem is that since i chose to use my /home partition together with kubuntu filesystem, and that same /home is also linked to the mint install, it got sort of screwed, and now i cant login with any of my OS.

Can you please tell me whats going wrong? I cant keep using live USBs forever and i refuse to lose all my files!!

I get a *Couldnt start X, failsafe session couldnt be started, and /something/ couldnt be found* error, where /something/ is some file whose name i cant remember.

I have a x4500mhd that AFAIK is kind of buggy in linux, maybe thats causing the problem.

Thanks, and please pardon my poor English :?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Husse

Re: X window server couldnt be started, or something like that

Post by Husse »

the real problem is that since i chose to use my /home partition together with kubuntu
Did you use the same user name - that's a perfect recipe for disaster
The same home partition is ok, but never ever the same user.....
Does any of the two systems start OK?
If yes it's mostly to get rid of the other but I guess the answer is no
If none starts OK and you used the same user name that's the reason
From the live CD (live USB in your case) move all the hidden files and folders in home into a new folder in home
Take care that you do it in the installed disk - not the live CD/USB
Reinstall only one and check that it's OK
If you want to install the other - learn from what happened :)

Return to “Software & Applications”