heat causing shutdown?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read how to get help

heat causing shutdown?

Postby afraca on Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:14 pm

Greetings,

I'm quite new to the Linux Mint distro, but this is the best one out there I think, absolutely brilliant! I have installed the RC1 of Linux Mint x64. I'm running it in dual-boot with windows 7 RC (which is also quite good actually). At the moment I use Linux mostly for a Frets on Fire mod called FoFiX, and for some surfing. (I'm planning to use it more however, but it's a bit getting used to, going quite good now).

The problem is caused by playing FoFiX. When I'm in the middle of a song (it's a guitar hero pc clone) sometimes Mint shuts down. A soft shutdown, not a hard shutdown that is (but still a forced shutdown).

The reason I'm posting this here is because of 2 things. I'm quite unique with this problem. I had it also in Ubuntu ( 9.04 ) so it can't be a RC problem. The other reason is (and also explains the topic title) : I've had some heat related issues in windows 7 when using BOINC (using idle cpu for making a better world), making my computer shutting down because of reaching temperatures of 103 degrees Celcius. This is a notebook so it can have a bit more then a desktop pc, but still it was a bit too much......

So my final question is: can the problem with FoFiX be caused by heat problems instructing the OS to shut down for security reasons. Is there a way to monitor this and confirm this or exclude it from the list of possible problems?

Thanks in advance,
afraca

ps. Or could it be caused by some sort of keyboard shortcut (pressing "2" twenty times or something? ^^ )
afraca
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: heat causing shutdown?

Postby bharani on Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:27 pm

Use conky to monitor CPU temperature.
bharani
Level 2
Level 2

Postby hyperdrive on Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:20 pm

Hi afraca.

I am unaware of any such shortcut... other than Control+Alt+Backspace used to kill the X Server (it restarts automatically though, which does not sound like your problem.)

You could always go Into the Control Center -> Keyboard Shortcuts and see if there is any such shortcut listed.
Also as for heat, most computers I've seen will totally cut power and beep or flash keyboard LED's to signal heat issues. They usually will not ask the OS to shut itself off. :wink:

However monitoring CPU temperature is still not a bad idea.
hyperdrive
Level 2
Level 2

Postby afraca on Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:43 pm

Thanks for the quick replies. I downloaded conky, but as quite a newbie I'm not really getting it. I'm able to start conky in terminal with simply typing conky , but it's not monitoring the temperature. I've read about specifying variables but not really getting it , sorry :oops:
afraca
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fred on Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:07 pm

afraca,

Go to the below referenced url and follow the instructions there for downloading and installing the necessary elements for sensor reading. You have an apt system that uses sudo so when given a choice use those commands. You will see what I mean. :-)

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/howto-linu ... formation/

Fred

EDIT: This will also enable you to use conky too but it isn't necessary to run conky to check the temps.
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby afraca on Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:28 am

Thanks for the link to enable my sensors.

Code: Select all
$ sensors

Will show my temperature, that's really nice, I'll give it a try. But propably I'll need real-time monitoring, conky next to my windowed FoFiX should do the trick, but have to find out how to let conky show temperature as it doesn't show bby default. Thanks for your help in advance :)

********** update ****************************

Pretty sure it's not game related as no-one on the frets on fire forums experiences the same problems as me. People there seem to agree it might be hardware related, to be more precise, driver related. So here are my specs:

CPU: AMD Turion 64 x2 Mobile Technology TL-58 (1.9 ghz)
RAM: 2x Kingston 2GB DDR2 strip
GPU: ATI Radeon x1250 (256 mb dedicated, 384 mb total)

About drivers, as I've mentioned before, I'm quite new to linux, so I can't really find driver info....... It all worked out-of-the-box, except my broadcom wireless card, but that was fixed with 3 clicks :) Also, soomeone on the frets on fire forums asked if other software caused the same problem, my answer: "
(about other software having problems, currently I'm only using linux for FoFiX and surfing the web, so haven't tried "stressing" computer (notebook actually) with other software like gimp, i'll try that soon) " .

Help would be very much appreciated.....
afraca
Level 1
Level 1

Postby bharani on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:57 pm

Add this to your .conkyrc file in your home partition
${color white}Core1:$color$alignr ${cpu cpu1}% ${cpubar cpu1 7,76} Temp: ${color orange}${hwmon 0 temp 1}${color white}°C
${color white}Core2:$color$alignr ${cpu cpu2}% ${cpubar cpu2 7,76} Temp: ${color orange}${hwmon 1 temp 1}${color white}°C

Then restart conky.
This should show temperature of your each core and how much you are stressing your CPU.
bharani
Level 2
Level 2

Postby AK Dave on Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:05 pm

BOINC (using idle cpu for making a better world)

You do realize that using idle cpu time from your laptop in no way makes a better world as long as you're using grid power. :shock:

Think about it. If you let the system idle, it draws less power. If you shut down and unplug electronics, you use dramatically less power. Using less power uses less resources, which by greenie arguments makes for a better world. Using more power in an inefficient way to clock a few extra cpu cycles is counter-productive. Those cpu cycles are more efficiently handled on a large rack server or some dedicated computing facility, where the flops-per-watt is more efficient. You don't generate enough cpu cycles on a laptop for the power you consume doing, so the benefit of those cpu cycles for "a better world" does not outweigh the power consumption itself. Oh, but the computer is "on" anyways? So why isn't it "off", or allowed to go idle, or at least go into a powersave park/suspend mode?
AK Dave
Level 6
Level 6

Postby afraca on Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:14 am

@ Bharani,

Your .conkyrc config suggestion didn't work, but I now use this config to display temperature:

${color white}CPU:${color white} ${freq} ${color white}mhz / Temp:${color white}$acpitemp ${color white}C

So I've been playing frets on fire with no problems for a few days, but i had to make sure temperature wouldn't go beyond 86 degrees celsius. So the problem was somehow related to temperature after all. Yesterday I opened my notebook (case) and vacuumed my fan. It turned out there was some dust stuck in a fan corner, and that kind of made my fan perform quite bad.... So now my notebook doesn't go beyond 55 degrees celcius anymore! :)

But I'm still wondering if, and why, Linux has a build-in temperature monitor that makes it shutdown @ 90 degrees celsius.........

edit:

@AKdave: You made sort of a good point there. I'll have to think about it.....
afraca
Level 1
Level 1

Postby emorrp1 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:31 am

afraca wrote:But I'm still wondering if, and why, Linux has a build-in temperature monitor that makes it shutdown @ 90 degrees celsius.........

It's not linux. The hardware just isn't designed to reach those temperatures safely, something will give, it could be something as simple as loosening connections or corrupting memory, or it could well be a safety feature of the CPU design itself, since hotter stuff burns eventually.

As for the actual issue of the overheating in the first place, I was following this thread, hoping that there'd be a solution, as my laptop does the same thing, and I've cleaned my fan, so I have no idea what's going on. I found that propping up the back edge by about 2cm gives enough air flow to stop it overheating in normal use (whereas before it would often shutdown in the middle of a flash movie - really annoying).
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby afraca on Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:11 am

You're propably right.....

Really sorry to say I can't help you with your problem. Are you using high-end system? (cpu stress causing extreme heat wouldn't be problem here, as you're saying it happens when watching flash movie) What temperatures are we talking about? You're sure all your fans are working? Maybe you'll have to let an expert take a look at it.
afraca
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Software & Applications