how to use the undelete programs

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

how to use the undelete programs

Postby hansencomputers on Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:44 pm

Greetings,
Well I did it. I clicked too fast, and deleted a folder by mistake. This was a folder saved on an external hard drive attached via USB.

Is there a way to recover lost files? I see there are 3 programs that show up when I search in Package Manager for "undelete" They are:
magicrescue
recover
e2undel

From their descriptions, it seems hopeful I might get my folder and, more importantly, the files in the folder back. However, these seem to be without a GUI, so I'm not sure what to do. I am hoping someone can give me some pointers.

Here are the relevant details:
1. The external hard drive, attached via USB, is named "2ndHD"
2. The folder I deleted was called "KEEP"
3. In the folder were several files, including some old emails with a file extension ".eml" (from former Windoze system)

How would I use anu one of the 3 programs mentioned to try recovery of the deleted folder/files?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Mike
hansencomputers
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: how to use the undelete programs

Postby fwc on Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:30 am

Never used this software, but it looks promising: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
fwc
Level 4
Level 4

Re: how to use the undelete programs

Postby Reorx on Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:27 pm

fwc wrote:Never used this software, but it looks promising: http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
fwc;

The OP never thanked you but I will... My wife plays a game (World of Warcraft) (environment = WinXP) that resides on an external USB HD. She accidentally deleted the whole folder for the game and was crushed when she figured that out - her character has taken her several months of play to develop... The folder was too large for the recycle bin and therefore it was unrecoverable by Windoze.

In an effort to help her out, I came here, did a search, and found this thread... TestDisk worked great! :D It took about an hour to recover and restore her game folder (16.1 GB) to its original location mainly because TestDisk only allows you to copy the deleted files to another HD. You then have to copy the folder back to its original location. Of course, I copied the folder to another external USB HD to test the recovery before copying it to the original location... So that's basically 3 copy operations of 16GB of stuff in about an hour... Not exactly a speed demon but effective nonetheless.

Thanks again for the link! :D

OBTW - TestDisk does many other things besides recover deleted files - nice little disk utility!
Procrastinate now!
Reorx
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Software & Applications