[SOLVED]mscorefonts script failure?

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
ashwinhgtx

[SOLVED]mscorefonts script failure?

Post by ashwinhgtx »

I tried to install the mscorefonts package through the featured applications list in the software manager. But the installation failed as the installer couldn't download the font files from the sourceforge url. It tries the url for each font and then says network unreachable. I can't copy the whole output as Ctrl+C tries to cancel the installation. In the end it gives some error status 1 or something like that. These error messages really need to be more user friendly.
I am behind a network proxy. I've set the proxy correctly so that synaptic, software manager, firefox etc can access the net correctly.
I even edited the bash.bashrc file in /etc just to be sure. I inserted the proxy settings.
apt works fine from the terminal.

How can I fix this? I'd like to use these fonts in Writer.
Ok I can live without them but can I at least get rid of these silly error messages I get every time I try to install something or update my system? Yes, apt tries to fix the problem by trying to complete the installation every time something else is installed.

I'm running Gloria 32bit.
Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: mscorefonts script failure?

Post by DrHu »

Try again, sometimes network connections are flaky or servers are not available on occasion..

It is probably your proxy configuration /setup for the internet connection, however as you say apt works, why not just install directly from the terminal
apt-cache search mscorefonts
msttcorefonts - transitional dummy package
ttf-mscorefonts-installer - Installer for Microsoft TrueType core fonts
--or maybe you were using the incorrect file name
Last edited by DrHu on Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ashwinhgtx

Post by ashwinhgtx »

I get the same network not available message from the terminal. Is something wrong with my proxy settings or is Sourceforge down? Sites like youtube, facebook etc are blocked by proxy but sourceforge is accessible.
ashwinhgtx

Post by ashwinhgtx »

It worked!!! Thanks DrHu. All I did was try again later.

Return to “Software & Applications”