OpenOffice reliably crashes Mint 7 - go figure

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
runbei

OpenOffice reliably crashes Mint 7 - go figure

Post by runbei »

I'm using Mint with OpenOffice 3.1 that I downloaded from the OO site (not the Ubuntu version customized by Novell, which is notoriously bug-ridden).

At some point in some documents when I do some undetermined actions, OO fatally crashes Mint. Everything freezes and none of the usual remedies work (Ctrl-Alt-F2, Ctrl-Alt-Bksp, Ctrl-Alt-Del). The only solution seems to be: hold down the power button and pray it doesn't mess up something in Linux.

I'm wondering if there's a graceful way to kill OO when this happens at resume normally, or at least a way to gracefully shut down the computer. I'm using a ThinkPad T43 with 1 GB of memory.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: OpenOffice reliably crashes Mint 7 - go figure

Post by DrHu »

The original dos/windows/PC shutdown key combination of ctrl-alt-del
--will terminate running apps and offer a shutdown menu

Oops just noticed you mention that key combo, well then that only leaves the computer cae soft reset button, should have a similar affect, terminate applications, and restart the computer..
http://www.scribd.com/doc/11431427/Thin ... ice-Manual

Return to “Software & Applications”