Firefox/ System Monitor

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Firefox/ System Monitor

Post by subslug »

I'm running Mint7 64 bit and I've been keeping an eye on system monitor and have noticed Firefox's memory usage will steadily increase the longer it's running.

It'll start at about 70Mb and gradually climb to 200Mb+ and I was just wondering if anyone else is noticing FF using a lot of resources on their systems?
It's not really slowing my machine down any, I was just curious more than anything. It could possibly be a plug-in or add-on for FF that's causing it. I run flash block and a few other add-ons.

I've turned a few add-ons off but so far nothing has changed. 200+Mb just seems a little hungry IMO.

Anyone else noticing any weirdness from FF?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
DrHu

Re: Firefox/ System Monitor

Post by DrHu »

It's not really slowing my machine down any, I was just curious more than anything.
Every time someone says that Firefox is slower, people complain about the infamous firefoz memory leaks (whether they exist or not)
http://neosmart.net/blog/2008/firefox-3 ... emory-hog/
http://blog.pavlov.net/2008/03/11/firef ... ory-usage/
--in your case it is system normal, no slowdown or other general user issue..

The longer it Firefox is running the more web page hits have been made, the more streaming video files, and the more data is being cached (keeps cache in-sync with updated Internet data/web pages)
subslug
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Firefox/ System Monitor

Post by subslug »

I had considered that it could be due to the cache and I guess that makes sense as to why it seems to grow the longer it's running.

Top reports that FF is only using 6.6Mb so maybe what sys monitor is showing is the actual cache memory that FF has accumulated.

I'll go with that. :)

Thanks DrHu.......looks like you've moved on from that other forum?

Return to “Software & Applications”