Lich King is hidden in my WoW folder

Questions about applications and software
Forum rules
Before you post please read this

Lich King is hidden in my WoW folder

Postby gabrielmcneese21 on Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:21 pm

I've worked with Linux before I'm not completely dumb at it but this latest problem has me baffled. I play WoW (World of Warcraft) and I have it already installed, including the latest expansions. I install the original WoW then the first expansion Burning Crusade. I get to lich king, because the dvd disc is hidden on Linux I copy all the files to a folder on my desktop. I run the installer from terminal using wine. The lich king screen comes up I click install and the next page is the EULA agreement. I just scroll to the bottom and press accept, however, the accept button is greyed out and I can't click agree.
So I do a little research and find out that I need to install a newer version of wine. I install a new version. I get all this done and get lich king installed with all the updates. I go ahead and set it to play in opengl, then I click the WoW icon on the desktop and the launcher looks a little different from what I remember. I click play and its just the original WoW, and burning crusade expansion installed.
I go to the wine directory and browse to the WoW folder, I search through it and to my surprise the lichking.mpq is nowhere to be found. I have an idea, I try running the lich king installer from the folder on my desktop using wine. The installer screen comes back up and instead of install it says play. I click play and the lich king launcher comes up. I click play once more and lich king boots up. I login and run around a bit and everything is fine. I log back out and I'm going to install 2 addons. I browse back to the WoW folder within the wine directory. I click on interface and normally it would have a folder that says Addons there, yet, it had nothing there. I tried creating my own and I installed the addon, needless to say the addon didn't work.
What I'm asking is there a way I can launch lich king with out opening terminal, running the installer for lich king, and so on? I know that lich king is in the folder because when I launch it in terminal it says it opens all the .mpq archives. I want to make this a little bit user friendly instead of all these extra steps.
gabrielmcneese21
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Lich King is hidden in my WoW folder

Postby emorrp1 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:29 am

Hello, and Welcome to Linux Mint! There sounds like there's a specific problem with lich king on linux, maybe someone on the wow linux forums has a solution. Seeing as you have a series of steps to bypass the issue though, the automation is actually quite easy, you need to create a shell script. To do this, you create a new (text) file called wow.sh in your home folder and make this the first line:
Code: Select all
#!/usr/bin/sh

Then you put the commands you normally type into the terminal into this file, one per line. Once finished run this command:
Code: Select all
sudo mv ~/wow.sh /usr/bin/wow.sh

You can then launch it using alt+f2 and type wow.sh, you could even create a menu item for it if you prefer.
If you have a question that has been answered and solved, then please edit your original post and put a [SOLVED] at the end of your subject header
Hint - use a google search including the search term site:forums.linuxmint.com
emorrp1
Level 8
Level 8

Return to Software & Applications